View Full Version : Can’t find the title of an old book

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

SS4
September 26th, 2007, 04:51 PM
The story line is somewhat similar to “Starship Troopers” with the lead using battle armor and fighting bugs. In this story he becomes lost in the war’s bureaucracy and keeps being sent back into battle, long after his peers are retired or decommissioned. Does anyone have a title or author? Thanks’!

cgw
September 26th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Forever War by Haldeman

ArthurFrayn
September 27th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Sounds like Armor to me, actually.

hawkwind
September 27th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Definitely Armor by John Steakley.

Colonel Worf
September 27th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Can't believe I've never heard of this book... is it any good?

hawkwind
September 27th, 2007, 12:54 PM
The book is a SF Classic. Anybody who enjoys SF should read this book.

Colonel Worf
September 27th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks. I'll definitely put it at the top of my list.

ArthurFrayn
September 27th, 2007, 02:45 PM
It's got good (yes, maybe even great) battle scenes, but as a story,structurally, it's lacking. Way overrated.

But I can see why it would be loved by Mil SF officianados without any reservation or qualification.

That's not me, but I still thought it was worth reading. I do not think it's in the same league as Starship Troopers or The Forever War. Not even close.

It will be discussed in the October book club. I think...

Yep, just checked -it's the book club's book for October. :D

Ropie
September 28th, 2007, 07:58 AM
I do not think it's in the same league as Starship Troopers or The Forever War. Not even close.

The latter being your favourite SF book of all time, right? ;) I have had a copy of TFW for years, read a few pages, put it down again for no particular reason and have yet to start it again. What do you like about it so much?

SS4
September 28th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestions but the book I am looking for is not The Forever War or Armor.

Other bits & pieces of the story I remember is that there is a lot of close in fighting. The main character's unit is basically destroyed and when he is recovered, his records get lost in the shuffle. He ends up being sent into battle over and over. It finally comes to the attention of the higher up's when, after being wounded several times, he has built up resistance to the medical proceedure they use and almost dies of it.

Thanks!