PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Conan films

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj
September 30th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Okay, so as most of you know here, I love the two Conan films, they're good campy fun, so understand that in this thread I am not bashing the movies.
What I'm wondering is, why couldn't they have made the Conan movies straight from Howard's short stories? What exactly prevented them from doing that? I mean, it's not like they didn't have the technology to do so, the scenes and events in the short stories weren't any more complicated than what were in the movies, at least from the ones I've read. There were epic battle scenes with large armies, but I think they could have pulled that off. So why didn't they make the films based off of the short stories?
Also, I saw on the little documentary extra on the Conan Special Franchise Edition DVD that I have that they were planning to make Conan a huge, long-running movie series, like the Bond films, wanting to make up to 11-12 installments. I wonder why they didn't do so, certainly I think it would've been cool.

Wulfa_Jones
October 1st, 2007, 07:35 AM
It is very rare that Hollywood ever stays faithful to the origin text when doing to a book adaption. I've no idea why they changed the story so much. I did and do enjoy the Conan films, the first one in particular as the second one was a little silly in parts. I guess the lack of grand scale battles was due to budget. I guess it could be done now, using CGI akin to LoTRs.

There was a live action series in the late 90s. I've never seen it, but I think it was a low budget show, no doubt one of the many fantasy TV shows that came after Hercules and Xena. There was a cartoon series as well I seem to remember.

I know that there are plans to start shooting a new Conan film in 2008, the current owners of the film rights claim to have written a script that is more faithful to Howard's original stories. There is also an animated movie being made based on the Conan short story "Red Nails" with Ron Pealman doing voice duties along with Mark Hammill and James Marsden. Never read the story, but reading over the synopsis, it sounds ok.

Priestvyrce
October 3rd, 2007, 02:36 AM
It is very rare that Hollywood ever stays faithful to the origin text when doing to a book adaption. I've no idea why they changed the story so much. I did and do enjoy the Conan films, the first one in particular as the second one was a little silly in parts. I guess the lack of grand scale battles was due to budget. I guess it could be done now, using CGI akin to LoTRs.

There was a live action series in the late 90s. I've never seen it, but I think it was a low budget show, no doubt one of the many fantasy TV shows that came after Hercules and Xena. There was a cartoon series as well I seem to remember.

I know that there are plans to start shooting a new Conan film in 2008, the current owners of the film rights claim to have written a script that is more faithful to Howard's original stories. There is also an animated movie being made based on the Conan short story "Red Nails" with Ron Pealman doing voice duties along with Mark Hammill and James Marsden. Never read the story, but reading over the synopsis, it sounds ok.

"Red Nails" is THE Howard story. Its Conan at his most primitive. Its a visceral story.I read the short story about twenty years ago and though I can not recall everything from the story. I still remember the feelings that I had reading it.

Evil Agent
January 10th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I just recently found out that Red Nails is soon to be released as an animated movie.

Let's just hope it's better than the Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight trailer.

I have read some Conan stories by Howard, but not Red Nails... yet.

Wulfa_Jones
January 11th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I just recently found out that Red Nails is soon to be released as an animated movie.

Let's just hope it's better than the Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight trailer.

There is already a site up and running for the Red Nails animated movie and it's not in the style of Dragonlance. Visual wise it reminds me of the Hellboy animated movies.

Also, over on AICN, there is news of a new live action Conan movie being moved into development. The budget is currently set at $100 million and is due to be written by Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer who wrote Sahara (which I quite liked really). No news of a director or star yet. Going to be hard to replace Schwarzenegger, I know he wasn't the greatest actor, but he is iconic in that role. So they need someone big and who can act. I just don't want it going to some WWF guy... unless maybe the Rock (can't remember his real name Dwayne something) as he's not been too bad in past roles.

Evil Agent
January 11th, 2008, 12:06 PM
The new Conan film has been in the works since the 1990s. It's good to hear that there are some new developments, but I wouldn't hold my breath...

Also, if they don't get Schwarzenegger, I've already lost some of my interest. True, he isn't the best actor, but I grew up watching the original two Conan films, and in my mind he is conan (although they should have dyed his hair black!). The best part about making a 3rd movie is that Arnie is now the perfect age to play the older King Conan, thus keeping realistic continuity with the other films.

I will be beyond disappointed if they get The Rock, Triple H, or Vin Diesel (all three of whom have been rumoured for the part in the past).

cougs
January 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Also, if they don't get Schwarzenegger, I've already lost some of my interest. True, he isn't the best actor, but I grew up watching the original two Conan films, and in my mind he is conan.

Ya, whenever I hear Conan the first thing I think of is Arnold, i'm not sure if I could get used to the idea of someone else taking the role.

But, I felt the same way about the different actors who played bond. My first reaction when I found out that Daniel Craig was replacing Pierce Brosnon was "no way this is going to work". But i saw the movie, loved it, and couldn't be happier with Craig as bond now.

So maybe Conan movies with a new actor could work if produced and directed well. I just hope someone gets around to actually making one.

enazwo
January 11th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Yeah I've have read and own, every story that REH wrote on the great Cimmerian, including the stories written by L. Sprague DeCamp, and a few others. Also That is how became a Robert Jordan fan, before there was The Wheel of Time and Rand al Thor Jordan cut his teeth on about six Conan stories, which were quite good compared to what came out later by writers John Maddox Roberts, Leonard Carpenter, Roland Green and Steve Perry. I quit following Conan after one the writers had this evil Sorcoreress named "Cunthra" and rode around on giant worm called "DeeK''. Not making it up.

The first Movie cost 17mil back in 1980, which was an unprecedented amount of money to spend on a fantasy flick. It's success has paved the way for some of the great fantasy movies that have come since (LotR,,etc).

Also the novelization for Conan the Barbarian was written by L. Sprague De Camp who was involved in much of REH's incomplete manuscripts that were later published with his help.
And Robert Jordan wrote the novelization for the second movie "Conan the Destroyer"

The new animated Conan Red Nails is one of Howards best, exciting, and dark stories. They have been working on this forever. From what I understand is it is going to be released for DVD and not go to the theartres, that has been the intention from day one. But the animation looks great and they have great cast of voices, as mentioned in the earler posts.

A live action movie, have heard many times of assorted projects, and people involved then have heard about them being scrapped. This new one would be cool and I totally 110% agree it would be awesome to have Arnold as King Conan of Aquilonia in the "The Hour of the Dragon" or retitled "Conan the Conqueror".

With all the success of LotR, CoN, HP, 300, it is makes total sense business wise, for Hollywood, to go through with more Conan projects.

Wulfa_Jones
January 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM
The new Conan project has nothing to do with the original two films. Whilst John Milius (who wrote and directed the orginal Conan film) has written a "KING CONAN" script, the new project has nothing to do with it.

I think this will go ahead now, the writers have been hired and production company are even trying to work out a deal with the WGA to get the project moving along.

Schwarzenegger is far to old to play the roll even as an aged Conan. I know Stalone has made a come back and looks pretty good physically, I really don't think Schwarzenegger will act again.

I always look forward to any sort of fantasy film and we don't get many of them.