PDA

View Full Version : Reaper

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Priestvyrce
October 2nd, 2007, 10:27 PM
I'm not sure if there is a thread devoted to this CW show,but...

The first two episodes have aired. ANd while both were enjoyable, I think having Sam continue to whine about being the Reaper of Souls will get old real quick; like with this episode.

Ray Wise is perfect as the Devil. Urbane,swarmy and an underlining evil is perfectly pitched by Wise. Sam and Sock are the new version of Scooby Doo&Shaggy with a bit of Buffy and Xander thrown in. Still only two episodes in, you really can't tell where the show is going. I mean, the souls themselves aren't all that intriguing or really dangerous,so you have to wonder what is the point.

Is this a show about growing up? Fighting your own demons? Will Sam find a way to get out his parent's contract to the Devil? These are just a few questions that I have.

So has anyone else seen this show? What are your impressions?

Wulfa_Jones
October 3rd, 2007, 05:33 AM
I've seen the first episode and was quite impressed. I think it got the mix right as while the show is at its core a comedy, the drama and action elements did not seem out of place.

I do agree that Sam's moaning could become boring very quickly, but I'd hope that it will eventually become either a minor running joke or fade out completely.

I did like Sock, some of his lines made me laugh out loud (didn't the guy who plays him appear in another supernatural comedy show? I think it was about a rock band who could see ghosts?) and the devil character was pure quality.

As for the shows development.. I'm not too sure really. I was left wondering what they would do with it after I watched the pilot. It can't just play on a new soul/new vessel every week as it'll get old quick. I think it could develop into being a show about growing up, with Sam having to deal with the day to day problems of girls, jobs, friends and family while dealing with evil souls and the devil.

I'm looking forward to watching the second episode and to see how the show develops.

Rob B
October 3rd, 2007, 08:28 PM
I'm hooked into it. However, I do think the first episode was stronger, perhaps because it was directed by Kevin Smith. The female lead is reeeaaal easy on the eyes, too.

mrwizard
October 4th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Ray Wise is perfect as the Devil. Urbane,swarmy and an underlining evil is perfectly pitched by Wise. Sam and Sock are the new version of Scooby Doo&Shaggy with a bit of Buffy and Xander thrown in.

Ha! I totally agree- astute observation! Liking this one for sure....

steagle
December 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM
i watched a couple episodes of Reaper, and if i hadn't already seen Dead Like Me, i would probably still watch it.

In my mind, Dead Like Me is the best TV show of all time. It's more about the story than comedy, but still has plenty of funny spots in it.

Now i'm going to have to start a new thread talking about this show.

Wulfa_Jones
December 7th, 2007, 03:46 AM
Reaper is progressing well, I was worried at the start of the season how things would pan out but the show is keeping my attention.

Ray Wise is still amazing as the devil and cleary is having great fun in the role.

I like how they have expanded the Gladys character and are exploring the whole demon culture thing. Sock's dream a few episodes ago was very funny.

The show has got the mix right - it has sitcom elements (rubbish job, dealing with life), comedy and the action. I also like how we've seen glimpses of things to come:

Sam's dad ripping the page out the contract and the Sam dating the anti-christ