PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Movie Marathon...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

mrwizard
October 4th, 2007, 02:58 PM
13 Nights of Halloween is airing again on ABC Family - starts on the 19th and goes through the holiday. Great line-up this year- pretty cool that they included some classics like Poltergeist and American Haunting- also Stephen King's It and The Village. Should be cool...

Hobbit
October 4th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Yes, we had one of these threads last year, I think.

It's a little early but let's go for it: which movies would you choose to watch on Halloween?

Hobbit

mrwizard
October 12th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Think I may kick back and watch Poltergeist. It's on at 7:30 so perhaps there is time to do some late night reveling. That movie always scared me to death!!! I didn't sit close to the TV for years...
I know- it's weak.

raggedyman
October 14th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Mario Bava's "Black Sunday" and "Woman in Black" . I saw Woman only once on tv about 15 years ago and never forgot it especially that one Scene!!:eek: Very high creep factor!! And last "The Changling".

Wulfa_Jones
October 15th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Halloween TV in the UK is pretty poor... most channels don't even put a horror film on the night itself...

I've having a horror movie weekend with my girlfriend on weekend before Halloween. Not sure what we're going to watch yet... thinking some classics mixed in with some new stuff.

Sword-bearer
October 22nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
sleepy holow, ninth gate... tim burton films are the best! None of this friday the 13th stuff!

Hobbit
October 22nd, 2007, 03:54 PM
Not sure myself whether to go for a recent film or some of those creaky classics.

At the moment I'm thinking of:

A Hammer Horror classic of some sort; I have some of the Hammer House of Horror TV series too.
The Haunting (original version: a fave)
Poltergeist: just released here in a 25th anniversary version (remember it first time round and haven't seen it for years!)
Night of the Demon/Curse of the Demon (again, an old fave)

Really not into all those gore/torture films of late (currently being called gorenography!)

Woman in Black would be very good but not easily available here in the UK on DVD. I also have some of those M R James adaptations around too...

Any more thoughts?

Hobbit

Wulfa_Jones
October 22nd, 2007, 04:36 PM
Really not into all those gore/torture films of late (currently being called gorenography!)

I have to agree. They aren't really frightening but just shocking.

I'm going to have to go with:

Night of the Living Dead ('68 of course)
Carnival of Souls ('62 - not the awful "Wes Craven Presents" version)
Dead of Night

I was also thinking of maybe watch the BBC's Ghost Watch.

I do like the M R James stories, I know the BBC did a series based on them but not sure you can get them on DVD. Wasn't Night of the Demon based on a James story?

Looking at maybe getting a hammer horror film box set of some sorts soon as well... like classic British horror.

Ickle Lulu
October 22nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
'Sleepy Hollow' and 'Frankenstein' definitely...

Hobbit
October 23rd, 2007, 04:33 AM
Dead of Night This one nearly made my list; there's a very nice newly remastered version out here in the UK, though I watched it fairly recently, so thought I'd go for something else.

GhostWatch I've got - remember it first time around! - and it's not a bad selection, though a bit dated. Don't believe the hype, though: there's lots of stories of the BBC doing an almost War of the Worlds type scaremongering on its showing. They didn't and it wasn't - in fact, all I remember was the papers feeling a little embarrassed at seeing Parky and Sarah Greene trying to act. It was played very low key, and there were enough warnings around the week before to make sure most people knew it was a play/story.

Sleepy Hollow... keep coming back to that one. Beautiful.

And yes, Curse of the Demon is (very loosely) based on the MR James story Casting the Runes.

You can get some of the MR James Christmas stories on DVD: certainly Whistle and I'll Come for You and A Warning to the Curious, though they are expensive. I have good ol' videotape copies!

In fact, thinking about it, somewhere at Hobbit Towers I have the BBC series of M R James stories as told by Christopher Lee, which I don't think have ever been on videotape or DVD, which were shown a couple of Christmasses ago. Now there's an idea....

Ickle: which Frankenstein? There's a new version on ITV this week, though I don't hold out much hope for it, frankly.

[LATER EDIT: Have now been and bought DVD of Sleepy Hollow. ;) ]

Hobbit