PDA

View Full Version : Table top miniatures (I.e. warhammer)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Aelden
October 14th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Can someone recommend a good miniatures game? I would get into Warhammer, but I don't want to dedicate that kind of money to it. Around here, there's an urban myth of a cheaper miniatures game that's damn near as fun. Could this myth be rooted in fact? Oh, by the way, I tried the Pirates series (you know, the ones where you build the little ships), and they were okay, but I just couldn't find anyone to play. No one was as into it as I was. (I had over 1,000 ships at one point. Then I started selling them on ebay.) I only played about 25 games, and they were mostly with my nephew, who's idea of tactics is something like Picket's charge. So after erradicating him several times, he got bored with it. There's a game store down the road and they have tournaments there all the time, so I'm guessing I can find at least one miniatures game other than Warhammer that some of them play. Anyway! Sorry about rambling!

=-=Aelden=-=

Dromed
October 19th, 2007, 01:19 AM
Warhammer is expensive.

I think the other game you may have heard about is Warmachine developed by Privateer Press/ (http://www.privateerpress.com/). It is cheaper to collect as the games are usually played with fewer miniatures. Battles are fought with mammoth war machines and a 'warcaster' that controls them.

saintjon
October 21st, 2007, 03:01 PM
Warhammer is insanely expensive, but fortunately I got most of my army back in high school. I dug them out several weeks ago and played a game and I'm hell-bent on getting them painted and building a macked out modular table. It's gonna be sick when it's finished.

Edit: Within Games Workshop there are cheaper games, the specialty type ones are usually cheaper. Blood Bowl requires far less miniatures and no scenery or anything. Mordheim only requires a couple models per player but the concept is to have far more scenery pieces, (ie a ruined city) so that one depends heavily on how cheaply you can churn out structures.

Sigmar
October 22nd, 2007, 05:09 AM
You're right about the expense.

There are a few things you can do though, check out eBay for starters. Also consider having more plastic models in your rank and file and just metal ones for characters, mus + std bearers.

Whatever the expense. Warhammer still ROCKS ! :)

Sigmar

Ouroboros
October 22nd, 2007, 08:13 AM
Gamesworkshop miniatures have gotten progressively more expensive since their earliest incarnation. I can remember when you could buy individual characters (say, a Blood Angels Captain) for 2.99. A metal tactical squad was 12.99.... And people who were involved in the hobby way way back when it was called 'Rogue Trader' probably got by spending even less.

When I was a teenager, playing 'Warhammer 40,000' I wrote a letter querying why it had to be so expensive. The reply unapologetically stated that they were producing a better quality product and that production costs had risen. I'm not entirely convinced by this, as let's face it- You don't actually need those miniatures to play the game. If you were so inclined, you could do it with paper tokens. There's no necessary connection between the tabeltop strategy game of Warhammer and the hobby of collecting an painting metal miniatures.

Gamesworkhop have done a very clever thing in linking the two, because people who would probably be just as happy playing with cheap plastic models are more or less cajoled into spending hundreds of quid collecting metal models.

At the end of the day, as long as the market is there, then Gamesworkshop will keep prices as high as they can. Releasing new editions of codexs and releasing new versions of old models continue to ensure that people periodically must 'upgrade' and spend more money to have the newest incarnation of their army. It's good business, but it's hard on the pocket.

A while back I posted that Gamesworkshop stock had fallen (it made the front page of some business papers). I wonder how they've done since then?

saintjon
November 16th, 2007, 02:33 PM
well all the latest run of things seems to have veered more towards plastic. the new plastic models look great, they're fairly pricey but way cheaper than pewter, but the require more work (which also means you can personalize them more). Also, I think 40K has kind of outrun fantasy battle in terms of popularity, which seems to be affecting the direction the rules and models of FB is taking.

I dunno if Warhammer "rocks". Maybe if you're playing greenskins lol. With my Elves the game seems like more of a night at the opera or something lol.

Someday I would like to convert up some Bridgeburner models, that would be pretty sweet. I wonder if anyone's done anything like that already? I'd love to see pictures of such a thing.

saintjon
November 17th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Last night I sufferred a bitter defeat at the hands of my buddy's dwarves. Stunty little buggers. You hardly ever hear about them getting anything new which is a testament to how solid their army list is. Whatever, I'm determined to learn from my mistakes and dish them out some high-handed elven justice next go round ;)

saintjon
November 29th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Said dishing out will be much easier once we integrate the newer rules, especially considering that my *entire army* now always strikes first.

I had a blister of Sword Masters of Hoeth, I'm going to have to load up on them now. WS 6, two attacks at str5 and they always strike first.... good lord. Their champion could kill an empire general pretty handily.

clockwirk
November 30th, 2007, 12:16 AM
I've never played either of these games, but I know that the Heroscape stuff is popular, as well as a game by Days of Wonder called Battlelore. Is that what you're looking for? I'm more of a strategy euro-gamer myself, but I know there are a lot of people into these two.

Ouroboros
November 30th, 2007, 07:28 AM
I popped into a Gamesworkshop recently, and noted that they have indeed moved back towards plastic models. When I was collecting, just the opposite was happening- Everything was 'going metal', and this was the explanation given at times for the rising prices.

I cannot understand how they can still justify charging increasingly higher and higher prices when they have now apparently moved back to selling a lot of models based on plastic sprue sets...?