PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read Pride Of Baghdad?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Esmenet
October 18th, 2007, 05:36 PM
My friend just lent me a copy of Pride Of Baghdad by Brian K. Vaughan and I absolutely loved it. It's about 4 lions that escape from a zoo during the United States bombing of Iraq. It's based on a true story. The art is amazing and the story is well written. It's pretty short but definately worth the read.

kater
October 20th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Yeah it was a nice little piece that got some critical acclaim, more for the subject matter than the quality, but it's indicative of comics in general - there are loads of great ideas that don't get noticed unless it ends up as a movie/tv show or is topically relevant in the world at the time. Killer of an ending too, Brian Vaughan is on top form at the moment - the last issue of Y The Last Man was a heartbreaker.

Esmenet
October 24th, 2007, 08:00 PM
oh i know. I loved that one. I just got into Vaughan. :P

Eventine
October 25th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Brian Vaughan is on top form at the moment - the last issue of Y The Last Man was a heartbreaker.

Aaaarrgggghhhhh - reading it in trades!!!! Must erase memory!

kanjisheik
January 8th, 2008, 04:33 AM
BKV is one of the finest graphic novel writers at present. He has written some wonderful stuff like Y The Last Man [Vertigo] and Ex Machina [Wildstorm]. And Pride of Baghdad is no exception- Its one of the finest short stories I've read in recent times. It explores the Iraq war from a totally different angle- animals!!! And the artwork is exceptional. A great read. And a shocker of an ending, as others have said.

For those who like BKV's style, check out Ex Machina. Its as good as Y The Last Man, but somehow isnt as famous.