View Full Version : new I am Legend trailer

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

cougs
October 26th, 2007, 06:49 AM
http://iamlegend.warnerbros.com/

Looks like it deviates from the book quite a bit, but I still have high hopes for it. Plus if you see it at IMAX you get a nice 7 minute "introduction to the Joker" trailer (Dark Knight Returns).

If they take anything from the book, besides the basic premise, I hope it's the book ending (then the title would make sense).

anyone else looking forward to this?

Amaunette
October 26th, 2007, 03:39 PM
WOW, it looks awesome. I never read the book, maybe I will. The trailer reminded me of 28 days later, actually.

Rob B
October 28th, 2007, 07:22 PM
anyone else looking forward to this?Yeah, in the same way I'm looking forward to being punched in the throat.

The premise seems to be a little different and I simply do NOT buy Will Smith in the role.

cougs
October 28th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Yeah, in the same way I'm looking forward to being punched in the throat.

hahah!! well said.

ya, as much as i'm looking forward to it...it will probably be a let down.

Wulfa_Jones
October 29th, 2007, 04:26 PM
The book has been on my to read list for a long time... will have to get it before they release it with Will Smith on the cover!

I am looking forward to it... it has been in development hell for years though... I remember reading that Arnold Schwarzenegger and Riddley Scott had tried to do it back in the early 2000s.

I like Heston's Omega Man and I've never seen Last Man on Earth, but I like the overall idea of the story so I'm going to leave reading the book until I've seen the film in this case so I'm not overally critical of it and just enjoy it for what it is.

I think based on the trailer it looks to be a very exciting film. I liked Will Smith in I, Robot and he looks to be well cast in this role as well.

Ouroboros
October 29th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I think this has the potential to be a slick blockbuster SF movie, but I'm not expecting a faithful adaption of the Richard Matheson source material.

The novel had a brilliantly simple premise, but its enduring brilliance is the low-key execution: Matheson wrote a terse, claustrophic novel with one of the most complicated, lonely protagonists in horror. We're used to monsters and ghouls in the genre, the genius of what Matheson did was he looked at how his lonely monster-fighter risks becoming dehumanised himself.

Even if all the movie has in common with the book is a shared name, I guess it might still turn out to be enjoyable. Most Will Smith vehicles are watchable enough.

The Master™
October 30th, 2007, 07:06 PM
let's face it, hollywood doesn't want to do "faithful to the book"... otherwise we wouldn't get the slick hollywood blockbusters...

for those who've read the book (and i count myself among them), we aren't expecting anything like it...

it will be an amalgamation of all the previous "last man" movies, with upto date CGI effects and lots of suspense...

see this as just another horror movie and enjoy the book for what it is...

JGraves
November 13th, 2007, 05:21 PM
let's face it, hollywood doesn't want to do "faithful to the book"... otherwise we wouldn't get the slick hollywood blockbusters...

for those who've read the book (and i count myself among them), we aren't expecting anything like it...

it will be an amalgamation of all the previous "last man" movies, with upto date CGI effects and lots of suspense...

see this as just another horror movie and enjoy the book for what it is...

Having read the book a year or so back, I'm not looking forward to this movie at all.

I also agree with whoever said that they DON'T BUY Will Smith in this roll!! I don't at all.

I also can't see them ending the movie the way the book did. You know with it being a "Slick Hollywood Blockbuster" and all. They'll probably find a new way to put the spin on the title so it makes sense.

Maybe I'll rent it when it come out on DVD ... maybe.

Dromed
November 14th, 2007, 12:30 AM
I think people would be wiser if they watched book adaptations without so many expectations. Sure, it won't be as good as the book. I am Legend is one of my favorite books, but that doesn't mean I'm going to form an instant opinion about how the film will ruin it, completely suck, or just be a waste of my time to watch. I'll be the judge of that after I see it.

Will Smith isn't the best actor on the earth I know, but he is nowhere near the worst. His performance in The Pursuit of Happiness was excellent. And I see no reason why he can't give Robert Neville a good shot.

I won't be going in the theater expecting the film to be loyal to the book. I'll be going in to experience what will hopefully just be a good story.

If you're not even going to attempt to watch it, why bother posting here? Opinions hold absolutely no validity if you have nothing but loose speculation to base them off.

ABofSeattle
November 17th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Wulfa Jones says, in part:

"I like Heston's Omega Man and I've never seen Last Man on Earth, but..."

I believe 'Last Man on Earth' (the film) can be downloaded in its entirety at The Internet Archive. They have a fair amount of free horror and sci-fi films available there.

EDIT: I went over and copied the link. For those of you who are not familiar with the Internet Archive, it's been designated an official internet library and runs on donations and grants. No ads, no popups, no junk.

Link to complete film (it's in public domain) - The Last Man on Earth (http://www.archive.org/details/the-last-man-on-earth) Look on the left side of the page for download options.