View Full Version : HELP I've been trying to remember this book for years

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

spideyfly
December 2nd, 2007, 04:51 PM
:)Hi all,

Years ago (somewhere around 1990) when I was a kid I came across a dusty orange-red book of sci-fi short stories, the title of which I can't recall. My mind tells me it was something by Marion Zimmer Bradley, but I'm not sure.

Here's two stories from the collection that I do sorta remember. There were other similar ones too that elude me completely. :confused:

The Dust Cloud (made up title):

Some about android men who are now fully robotic except for organic brains. They live forever, they lose course and enter this star system where it was all dark. A dust cloud had covered a planet for centuries or whatevers, and they come down on the surface and investigate the remnants of the cities there and recreate the story of the inhabitants from writings about the planet and the coming of the cloud, which took a few hundred years before it engulfed the sun and surrounding planets

The Lady at the Stargate (made up title):

Another story in the same book involved a girl with an introverted psychology who was perfect for manning the stargate. She lived alone in the star control (watchstation) and let the ships through or what not. And one day a captain came through and somehow there was a bit of an affair between the two...and then something or other happened, they separated and she re-drifted back into a deep state of introversion where she felt she was the only person alive...love that story.

If anyone remembers these please let me know. I really feel that they've had an impact on my development somehow and I want to revisit them (I've been looking for that book for so long.)

I hope someone can help *fingers crossed*

spideyfly
December 25th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Oh well...was worth a shot. Hope I can remember more about the details soon.

Bluestar
December 25th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Could it be "The Dark Intruder and Other Stories"?

http://people.uncw.edu/smithms/F-series/F-273b.JPG

spideyfly
December 28th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Hey Bluestar,

Thanks for your reply. I think this could be the book but when I look at reviews I can't seem to find any reference to either of the two stories. Although the cover does look like the book...really wish I could remember it :o Gonna try to find a copy.

Thanks again - this is the review I found:

http://www.sff.net/people/Richard.Horton/aced44.htm