PDA

View Full Version : Dead Like Me

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

steagle
December 3rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
Anyone hear of this show/ seen it/ love it/ hate it?

I absolutely love this show.

Official site: http://www.deadlikeme.tv/
Other: http://www.tv.com/dead-like-me/show/16840/summary.html

For those too lazy... summary:

18-year-old George Lass (Ellen Muth) dies when a toilet from the MIR space station falls from the sky and hits her. However, soon she discovers that afterlife really does exist... she becomes a reaper - she helps in catching the souls of people moments before they're destined to die. Then she meets a group of reapers who collect people's souls.

This show actually started in 2003 and was canceled in 2004 after just 2 seasons. However I think it's without a doubt the best TV show i've ever watched. I didn't event find out about it until september of this year- went online and watched all the episodes in a week (kept me from playing Medal of Honor Airborne- which i had pre-ordered).

After i had finished the episodes i was shocked there was nothing more to watch. Luckily, a DLM movie is coming out in summer/fall of 2008. I've read that if the direct to DVD movie does well, the series might come back, and even if it doesn't live up to the standards, they'll still make a series of movies.

Just wanted to make sure this information got out there and wanted to here opinions from people who have seen the series.

Dromed
December 6th, 2007, 12:50 AM
I liked it though the story slowly got tiring. There isn't any large story-arch - rather, the episodes are made up of different mini-stories that all have a similar premise (death). It would have been much better if I felt it was actually going somewhere instead of constantly wondering if anything would actually happen.

steagle
December 6th, 2007, 08:55 PM
there's the whole idea of the main character connecting with her family- watching what is happening to her family after her death, the individual "mini stories" or whatever you called them, the relationships between the different reapers, and eventually.... the big story you seemed to have missed out on- Georgia finally getting her quota filled and moving on into heaven or whatever- probably a good ending.

These are all the things i liked about DLM that dealt with the storyline. I don't know how you came up with the idea there's no story.

But i'm not bashing you, don't take it that way- i just lapse into that "This is the best ______ (insert video game, movie, tv show, book, song) ever and anyone who doesn't like it is a ________(insert bad names). I do this more often then i realize- then have to think, ok, maybe it's like me and basketball or rap- i just don't like it- so some people just won't like this show. Sorry about that, you have to admit people do this a lot don't they??? It's like with Gears of War- people who don't like it or don't think it's a good game get bashed all the time. I try to stay away from it b/c maybe they just don't like the game.

So don't take it personally what i said. It's just my love of this show getting in the way.

Wulfa_Jones
December 7th, 2007, 03:38 AM
I liked it though the story slowly got tiring. There isn't any large story-arch - rather, the episodes are made up of different mini-stories that all have a similar premise (death). It would have been much better if I felt it was actually going somewhere instead of constantly wondering if anything would actually happen.

I'd disagree with that, in laters episodes a clear story arc had started to appear that I'm sure would have played out in later episodes. I did enjoy the series and would have liked to see how it developed.

The show didn't get picked up again from its first season, but the creator has had more success with his next show Pushing Up Daises. I've not yet seen this, but it has been picked up by ITV for the UK.

Shehzad
December 7th, 2007, 10:53 AM
I loved DLM, used to watch it quite often on Showtime. In fact, the show did run for 2 seasons, and a storyline was developing which never got realized as the show was cancelled. A DLM TV movie is now in the works to wrap up the storyline, although, regrettably, there is no Mandy Patinkin involved.

Pushing Daisies is awesome. Very quirky, though not as dark as DLM, and much, much more quirky. Highly recommended.

Sehestedt
December 20th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Loved DLM, and I'm eagerly awaiting the new movie.

Love Pushing Daisies too. Great show.

ezchaos
January 14th, 2008, 08:11 AM
My wife and I love this show and watch it any time it's on SF channel. Of course, we didn't get into the show until after it was canceled. I'm not sure if they play it regularly or not. Every few months they seem to have a DLM marathon.

DailyAlice
February 1st, 2008, 08:23 PM
My husband and I found the dvds of Dead Like Me second-hand and love it. It is beautifully acted, poignant, and just weird and quirky enough. Pushing Daisies, on the other hand, is what happens when quirky runs riot. IMO unbearable.

There's a fine but unmistakeable line between quirky and silly.

iamliz
February 25th, 2008, 12:00 AM
i love the show, one of my favorites.Wished it would have last longer