View Full Version : The Golden Compass

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

FitzChivalry
December 9th, 2007, 12:14 PM
So.. anyone watched it already? Any opinions? How is it compared to the book?

Bree
December 9th, 2007, 02:32 PM
I thought it was good enough. They changed the order of events a bit (Iorek fighting Ragnur before Lyra goes to Bolvangar.) But they were still good. The one thing they really messed up on was the ending, they could've added an extra 30 minutes at least.

I thought Dakota Blue Richards was very good as Lyra, she really portrayed her character IMO.

It made me want a daemon quite a lot. :rolleyes::D

Power to the J
December 9th, 2007, 03:28 PM
It was okay. Better than Narnia IMO. The acting was good, so were the speical effects, but some of it was a bit corny, as was the book. Overall, if you liked the book, you'll probably like the movie, since its a pretty loyal adaption. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Evil Agent
December 9th, 2007, 09:52 PM
This is a weird one for me, because I wasn't a huge fan of the book to begin with. I thought the ideas in the book were interesting, but the book felt like a bit of a chore to read.

Now we get the movie from New Line who, after a series of terrible movies and bad PR concerning Peter Jackson, they have tried to sell this as "the next Lord of the Rings" movie series.

LOL...

It's definitely not the next LOTR. It's actually getting retty poor reviews online (43% on RottenTomatoes.com, a few days after release, based on 143 reviews)....

I actually thought it was good... except for one MAJOR complaint, which most of the negative reviews also mentioned; the movie is way too short, resulting in a lack of magic and wonder. The director is the guy from American Pie (HUH!?!?), and he just doesn't seem to have the necessary vision to pull something like this off. The movie is ridiculously rushed and confusing. It's not even 2 hours long. I honestly think that the movie could be very good, if it was about 30 minutes longer, and included a lot more character development in the beginning. As a viewer, I just didn't care about any of the characters or the events. Everything just happened way too quickly. I can't even imagine what I would have thought, if I had not already read the book.

I'd like to see an extended version on DVD.

biodroid
December 10th, 2007, 02:00 AM
I think they spent way too much money and did not have much to show for it like Narnia. Seems like big budgets does not mean big FX nowadays. Revenge of the Sith was made for less and looked spectacular compared to GC

AuntiePam
December 17th, 2007, 01:08 AM
What Evil Agent said. I rarely go to movies, but my son and his wife are visiting from Seattle, and there's nothing much to do in Iowa in the winter.

I had read the books and loved them (except for a bit of screed in the third), but I'd forgotten most of the plot. That's a good thing, because I can watch a movie and it'll be new to me. No quibbles about stuff being left out, etc.

If I'd been at the movie alone, I would have walked out. The movie looks great and the acting and special effects are fine. But the dialogue is trite and predictable, and there was no tension.

Maybe more time would have helped, but seriously, I don't think I could have sat through another half hour. It felt like an outline -- something you start with and then flesh out, build on. Huge disappointment.

Ouroboros
December 17th, 2007, 05:52 AM
I thought it was a competent enough adaption... but not magical.

The cast was fine, the special effects laudable, Pullman's original material pretty much faultless (albeit that this is the weakest novel of the trilogy in my opinion), and yet: Something just didn't seem to click, the movie never felt like it was firing on all cylinders.

Perhaps we should just thank our lucky stars that this didn't turn out to be as horrendous an adaption as poor Susan Cooper got with 'The Dark Is Rising'.

Roll on the next movie, and the introduction of Will the murderer!

AuntiePam
December 20th, 2007, 12:23 AM
I've been thinking about why the movie didn't engage me.

I think it's because the movie was all set pieces -- high points. The big, exciting events were all there -- or all the ones I remember anyway -- but there was no binding, nothing that brought it all together.

It's kinda like when you watch a DVD of an otherwise bad movie that has some good action scenes. You fast-forward to get to the good stuff. Compass was all good stuff. But it just didn't work as a coherent, involving story.

You could see the bones of a good adaptation, which made the result more disappointing.

Evil Agent
December 21st, 2007, 03:08 PM
It's kinda like when you watch a DVD of an otherwise bad movie that has some good action scenes. You fast-forward to get to the good stuff. Compass was all good stuff. But it just didn't work as a coherent, involving story.Good point, Auntie Pam! I totally agree. The Golden Compass was like the opposite of a boring movie; it was all the cool set pieces and action sequences. But it was too short, and suffered for lacking some of the slower character development scenes. I don't know if I've ever really seen this exact problem in a movie before.

I think the fact that it almost contains too many exciting scenes, or nothing but action and effects sequences, might make it better to re-watch on DVD. It might even get better with each viewing. But I still think what it really needs is an extended edition to flesh it out.

Regarding what Ouroboros said about the sequel... apparently it's now quite unlikely that they will even make the sequels. It was intended to be a trilogy but, as always, that depends on the box office results (remember Van Helsing?). Apparently the Golden Compass has pretty much flopped domestically, only making around $25 million in its opening weekend. That's pretty bad, especially considering the movie cost upwards of $200 million! I think there were a combination of problems.... A) New Line didn't advertise it enough, perhaps trusting that it would just naturally be a hit, B) many people don't even know these books, they're not nearly as well known as LOTR or Harry Potter, C) the mixed reviews and the fact that it isn't that great (or could have been better) has made for poor word of mouth. By now, all the die hard fans have seen it... I don't expect it to do very well over the holidays.

saintjon
December 22nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
OOOOOOOoooooooooh that hurts.

What a shame, I liked the movie, I do agree about things seeming kind of rushed though.