PDA

View Full Version : Blade Runner Final Cut

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Gkarlives
December 23rd, 2007, 09:41 PM
I just finished watching the FinalCut of Blade Runner and I have to say that I enjoyed it, but I also enjoyed the original cut too. What I really liked was watching the Dangerous Days documentary on disc 2. One thing I want to throw out for commentary (mainly) was the fact that Ridley was pushing for a much more graphic love scene between Rachel and Deckard. Those of you who are familiar with my other threads will see where this is going.

In my opinion, a more graphic scene would have changed the affect of the movie. I find it interesting that the final cut and the directors cut retain the toned down version. I see the pressure to put the scene in as typical the Hollywood need for shock value and to draw in young males. Artisticlly to me, the scenes work better without it because of Rachels confusion and inexperience.

manephelien
December 24th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Indeed, I would certainly agree with you on that one. What this movie didn't need was a too erotic love scene. I liked this version, but then, I liked the second version too. I've never seen the first one, with the voice-over.

Being a huge NuBSG fan, I laughed out loud every time they said "skinjob". I had forgotten about that, because it's been so long since I last saw the movie.

Gkarlives
December 24th, 2007, 04:07 AM
I tried watching the Original US version again to see if I liked the voice overs, but fell sound asleep. Getting old. I don't think they were too bad, because some of the things Ridley was doing were a little too subtle. The part with the Unicorn really does not push me into thinking that he may be a replicant. By the way, what does NuBSG mean? I am not familiar with that one.

Hobbit
December 24th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Suspect that'll be New Battlestar Galactica, Gkar.

Have you got the 5-disc version of this? I've been working through it the last couple of weeks. The quality of the Final Cut, picture wise and soundwise is fantastic. (And how they've done some of the reedits is revelatory.)

But the WorkCut, after being rumoured for so many years is interesting. Despite Ridley Scott's protestations, the quality of the picture and sound isn't that bad. And it's not that different either, but interesting.

Considering the problems this film went through in production, its amazing we have anything to watch. Paul Sammon's book Future Noir goes through some of the details, though the documentary is very good indeed. Getting Harrison Ford to talk about the film that until recently he refused to talk about is a coup.

Well recommended as a pressie: especially as the 5-disc version is a limited release here in the UK.

Mark/Hobbit

Gkarlives
December 24th, 2007, 08:22 AM
No, I went with the 4 disc version for economic reasons, but I counld not go down to the two disc. I wanted to have the comparisons. I have not gotten down to the achive footage. I am hoping that some of the scenes I saw in the documentary are there, like Holden in the hospital.

FicusFan
January 1st, 2008, 08:57 PM
I wanted the 5 disc set for the workprint, but it was too pricey. About $50.00 more (in the store). Couldn't 'wait' for an on-line bargain order to arrive.

I hope at some time in the future to pick up the 5th disc (used) or a cheap used set with the 5 discs.

I got it mostly because the original version (voiceover) is not on DVD. I love the original version (had the VHS) and HATED the directors cut. Got the 4 disc set set to see the new version and the doc, but haven't watched them yet.

I got the discs the day they came out, but have been watching the original and the European version (though I always fall asleep during it) over and over.

I thought the love scene was not only fine, it was actually quite erotic, and more meat would have ruined that.