View Full Version : Christmas Goodies

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

kater
January 1st, 2008, 03:39 PM
Well the season for giving is over, so what games were you given? :)
I was lucky enough to receive quite a few this year, mostly because I don't think anyone knew what else to get me.
For the 360 I was given Call of Duty 4, which I completed much too quickly but having fun in multi-player. Assassins Creed - the ending makes for what could be a really interesting series with very few limits on where they can take it. Mass Effect, a huge game that I have only just begun to come to grips with, think this may take me a good while to get into fully. For the PS2 I got RE4, a game for some reason I never got round to picking up and is now cheap as chips :) Lastly I used some xmas money to buy a cheap copy of The Darkness for the 360 because I really enjoyed the company's Chronicles of Riddick and there hasn't been a good comic title in ages.
Happy new year to all, let's hope we're blessed with some quality titles this year (roll on GTA IV, MGS4 etc) :D

Shehzad
January 1st, 2008, 06:21 PM
No games, but I got myself a new gaming PC, a Quad-Core beast, that I just need to get a decent vid card into and I'll be set...

Esmenet
January 2nd, 2008, 08:49 AM
I recieved

Ps2: Final Fantasy XII, Shadow of the Collossus, God of War II ( i lost my copy), Gh2

Ps3: Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Unreal Tournament III ( i got assassin's creed the day it came out)

I had a good horde of games this year. I also got Guild Wars: Eye of the north.

Esmenet
January 2nd, 2008, 08:51 AM
i forgot, I also got RE4, and a 450 page japanese exclusive okami art book. Very nice.

I can't wait for Brawl, MSG4, GTA and SF4. hopefully this year will be just as good for the gaming world as last year was.

Hobbit
January 2nd, 2008, 11:51 AM
In the Hobbit household Supreme Commander:Forced Alliance and Crysis seem to have done the trick. Both very popular over the hols: Crysis in particular looks fantastic.

Mark / Hobbit

Amaunette
January 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
I wish I could play Crysis.

I'm going to count what me and my boyfriend are sharing, but we got Gears of War (OK - stupid clunky system to take cover irritates me), Kane and Lynch (unnecessarily difficult in spots but nice variety of missions), Assassin's Creed, Oblivion, Kingdom Hearts II, DDR Supernova 2 (fun but lots of hip hop), and Guitar hero II. You'll note some older games in there, that's because we haven't gotten to play many video games in the last year or so. I haven't gotten to play some of them yet. Too many video games, too little time.

kater
January 2nd, 2008, 02:20 PM
I wish I could play Crysis.

I'm going to count what me and my boyfriend are sharing, but we got Gears of War (OK - stupid clunky system to take cover irritates me), Kane and Lynch (unnecessarily difficult in spots but nice variety of missions), Assassin's Creed, Oblivion, Kingdom Hearts II, DDR Supernova 2 (fun but lots of hip hop), and Guitar hero II. You'll note some older games in there, that's because we haven't gotten to play many video games in the last year or so. I haven't gotten to play some of them yet. Too many video games, too little time.

I wish I could as well but sadly my old comp runs fine and thus no need to shell out for a monster like Shez's (plus the temptation to play CS on such a beast would be too great) Is a good game aside from it's looks Hobbit?

Amaunette - is Kane & Lynch worth picking up? I looked and looked at it but couldn't make up my mind, then it had some dodgy reviews and I thought about waiting until it's cheap.

Amaunette
January 2nd, 2008, 02:47 PM
I wish I could as well but sadly my old comp runs fine and thus no need to shell out for a monster like Shez's (plus the temptation to play CS on such a beast would be too great) Is a good game aside from it's looks Hobbit?

Amaunette - is Kane & Lynch worth picking up? I looked and looked at it but couldn't make up my mind, then it had some dodgy reviews and I thought about waiting until it's cheap.

Also why I can't play Crysis - I don't have a mega-gaming computer, just a functioning one.

I would wait until Kane & Lynch is cheaper. If you have lots of time, you could even rent it and see how far you get. It's a decent shooter, but you have to be pretty careful. It's not one where you can just run into a room and open fire, which I enjoy. And the frustrating parts really annoy me. I can definitely say that it's fun to play it in co-op mode, and it's not just a co-op mode where you're always in the same situation at the same time. Sometimes the two players get different missions in co-op mode. The co-op feature was mainly why I chose it. And it is nice to have more than one kind of mission, like assassination, kidnapping, prison breakout, robbery, etc. I'd say it's got almost as many pros as cons.

Severn
January 2nd, 2008, 04:36 PM
My darling gave me Dark Messiah: Might and Magic, sadly though we both don't like it, and for only one reason: The graphics are beautiful. The rpg-ness is great. The story line looks promising. However, it's the perspective (right word? I guess so) - it's nauseating. You can't see your character, just right in front of you (you can see your boots if you swivel down), there's even a head-bob motion for 'realism'. If you move left to right, the whole thing sways. Ugh. I couldn't look at it for more than 10 seconds without feeling ill. He gamely tried to play and was nearly sick after half an hour hehe.

So, sadly, back it goes. We might try to change it for vouchers, and wait for Sacred 2.

Hobbit
January 2nd, 2008, 05:49 PM

We're running it on a dual core machine that we bought a couple of years ago. It seems to cope, as it did with Supreme Commander.

As for the game, (please bear in mind it's not normally me playing, it's usually me saying, 'Can I use the computer yet?' :) ) but the plot seems to be engaging, and the controls easy to get a grip with (unlike some of those games where you needed a whole new keyboard to play.)

It's certainly held attention: it looks very Halo to me, though the computer expert in the household tells me that so far it's better than what he's played on Halo 3 (of which the review was 'overrated'.)

How's that?

Mark / Hobbit