PDA

View Full Version : What's the last movie you saw... 2008?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Monty Mike
January 2nd, 2008, 03:39 AM
A new year, a new film line-up, a new thread. Enjoy! :D

Bree
January 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
I went to see Enchanted yesterday.

It had all the perfect elements of a Disney movie. Funny, sweet, innocent. Brilliant music, typical fairytale story with a really original twist. I thought it was amazing from the moment it started until the very end. It was the first movie I've seen in quite some time that had me laughing out loud. :D

Very good, Disney once again did it. :D

Bridie
January 3rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
I too went to see Enchanted. Its so awesome, well, for a girl deffinetly. Not sure how a boy might fare with such a movie. The music was fantastic, the plot was good and it was overall quite funny. I especially enjoyed Patrick Dempsey. I think hes a great actor and he's McDreamy :p.

CelebrianA
January 6th, 2008, 04:07 PM
"Well here I go again...if you read the thread: What's the last movie you saw...2007? you'll understand the previous statement....I finally got to see Pirates of the Carribean Curse of the Black Pearl....on TV (rabbit ears TV that is) and Transformers on DVD cause hubby bought it. Here's why.....When you have child(ren) and live in a town of about 9000 people & you don't go out much and the Cable people won't come out to where you live, and Satellite costs way too much for crappy stations you don't even watch so your stuck with Rabbit ears, you don't get to see much.....that and the fact they roll the sidewalks up at 6pm here during winters....we don't have much around going on here unless your on a bowling team or into scenic views or history. The closest mall, Home Depot, skating rinks, zoo, book stores, night clubs or major chain restaurants like Red Lobster, TGI Friday's, Olive Garden and such are all 2 1/2 hours away. Well we do have 2 or 3 Bars but they aren't that hopping during winter. I'm not into the bar scenes anymore....married with kid and don't smoke so I don't miss all that smoke. And with gas up as high as it is we make sure we have several places to go to before we go the 12 mi. or so into town. I'd like to see Spider Man 3, Shrek 3, Golden Compass, Pan's Labyrinth, Star Wars 2 & 3, Waitress, and a few others.....Oh and I can't wait for The Hobbit to come out!!!! So needless to say when they come out on DVD and hit e-bay I'll go buy them if I can just like the books I want.

Amaunette
January 7th, 2008, 10:10 AM
.....When you have child(ren) and live in a town of about 9000 people & you don't go out much and the Cable people won't come out to where you live, and Satellite costs way too much for crappy stations you don't even watch so your stuck with Rabbit ears, you don't get to see much.....that and the fact they roll the sidewalks up at 6pm here during winters....

Sounds enchanting ;) Seriously, I might suggest Netflix. I get all my tv/movie watching through that. It's cheaper than cable and more entertaining. I'm not sure if you get reliable mail delivery, however, considering all the snow. I must say, I haven't had a problem with snow since I lived in New York.

On topic, the latest movie I saw was Sweeney Todd. It got great reviews online, both from critics and regular people, which is unusual. I had never seen the musical before, but I knew basically what it was about. I must say there was more blood and gore in this movie than I am normally comfortable with, so it's definitely not for kids. I enjoyed it, but I came away wondering what kind of twisted mind came up with a plot like that. Great acting from the male and female leads, by the way, but the accent Depp took on was kind of annoying. I kept wondering, when is Depp going to stop playing Jack Sparrow? Another kind of irritating aspect was that 3 of the main actors all played in the Harry Potter movies, so part of my brain kept labeling them by their character names from that series. The side plot involving young star-crossed lovers was kind of annoying as well. Entertaining, great to see once, but I probably won't ever feel the need to watch that movie again.

redhead
January 7th, 2008, 10:20 AM
amaunette said:

On topic, the latest movie I saw was Sweeney Todd. It got great reviews online, both from critics and regular people, which is unusual. I had never seen the musical before, but I knew basically what it was about. I must say there was more blood and gore in this movie than I am normally comfortable with, so it's definitely not for kids.

I saw that movie last week, and came away with the same thoughts. i could get over the gore, because the red color of the blood was so oversaturated, it seemed a little like a characature to me. but my husband was truly grossed out. thankfully, i didn't see any children in the theatre (unlike when we saw Star Wars III, where the kiddies were crying 15 minutes into the movie).

but the accent Depp took on was kind of annoying. I kept wondering, when is Depp going to stop playing Jack Sparrow?
i was thinking the same thing about half way through the movie.

Miriamele
January 7th, 2008, 11:47 AM
In the last couple days, I watched a few really old movies: What's Eating Gilbert Grape, and Rocky V. Enjoyed both of them. I love all the Rocky movies though, cheese and all. :)

Dallandra
January 8th, 2008, 11:41 AM
The last movie I saw was Under The Tuscan Sun. It's a pretty typical romance movie, but I have to admit that I'm a sucker for those feel-good movies...:o

It was interesting to see actress Sandra Oh in an other role than Dr. Cristina Yang (Grey's Anatomy). She was good.

The movie wasn't as predictable as most romantic comedies are, that's a big plus!

Eerie Streets
January 10th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Stay clear of I Am Legend, utter tripe. A major let down. Rushed, Unimaginative, Bad VFX, Strayed too far from the book (although, I didn’t like Last Man on Earth cause it was too close to the book, there’s just no pleasing some people).

Anyway; Awful.

Eerie Streets
January 10th, 2008, 12:26 PM
when we saw Star Wars III, where the kiddies were crying 15 minutes into the movie

Huh? Really?
If you’d said I or II, I might have understood. I cried at them, or to be more precise I cried at having paid to see them. But III was pretty good…