PDA

View Full Version : Please help me remember this book if you can!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

thomsweeney
January 9th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Hey.

I read this book about 15 years ago, and cannot remember the title or the author. The infuriating thing is that I had the book until I moved about 10 years ago, but the movers lost a whole box of books, and it must have been in there because it's not in my collection anymore.

Anyways, here are the details I remember.

Mr. Spaceman (not real name) lands on a planet and his ship and he are commissioned to collect any data on life forms, particularly if it is extra-ordinary. Now, there are many varied forms of human-like life on the planet, and some of the humans can even fly and display other magic like powers. The ship computer (hereafter referred to as "Mr. Computer") goes nutso over this, and demands a sample. During the course of things, it is determined that these magical men are actually psionic, that the world has gone through a nuclear holocaust (possibly "Old Earth") and I seem to remember that Mr. Spaceman and Mr. Computer have a falling out over whether or not the ship should be allowed to cut out the nice human magic men's brains for study. I believe he also has some kind of bomb on him that compels him to do what Mr. Computer says, without possibility of defiance.

Mr. Spaceman, in a heroic effort, defies Mr. Computer anyways, and gets injured severely (presumably from the bomb thingie that I am pretty sure I'm not making up) and while through the combined efforts of his sacrifice and the magic men's attack Mr. Computer bytes it (sorry, had to). When all hope seems lost, magic men were able to flip the switches in Mr. Spaceman's brain that allow access to psionic powers, and he is able to heal himself with their assistance, and he lives happily ever after as a new magic man, Magic Mr. Spaceman.

Any thoughts?? This is driving me nuts, because I was sure it was called "The Flying Sorcerors" or something else like that, but the only book with that title (or one like it) that I can find is Niven's and Gerrold's book of that title, which is (while a good read) not what I was looking for.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!!!

~Thom Sweeney.

B5B7
January 11th, 2008, 03:28 AM
One of my favourite authors is Lawrence Watt-Evans, who wrote the book you have described and its sequel.

The War Surplus series:
* The Cyborg and the Sorcerers
* The Wizard and the War Machine

thomsweeney
January 11th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Thank you so much!!! I really appreciate it, it's been driving me crazy!! Thanks again!