View Full Version : Torchwood season 2

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Wulfa_Jones
January 16th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Well Captain Jack and his crew are back for season 2 of Torchwood.

I gave up on season 1 around half the way in finding the show to be a big disappointment. I hear it picked up at the end of season 1 but I never got around to watching the episodes.

So whilst I never had high hopes for season 2, I was hoping the creative team would have taken on some of the criticism leveled at the show on board and made some changes. They haven't.

The show is pretty much the same - totally over the top. I'm a pretty open minded chap, I consider myself a liberal I really do think really over played the "gay card" in with this episode. Plus, based on the preview of the season played at the end of the episode the constant references to sex continues thoughout the season.

James Masters was pretty good, camping it up even more than John Barrowman. The story line was a little shallow, it acted as a reminder/re-introduction to the characters and seems to have set up story lines that will develop in future episodes. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't amazing.

In the end, the show still has all the flaws that put me off it last time. The team is unbelievable (ex-patrolwomen, a weedy looking doctor, a seemingly skill and roleless gay Welsh bloke) the only two that make sense are the tech women and Captain Jack. If the doctor had some sort of military background or the Gwen was a detective or the "admin chap" was something more interesting. Surely a team put togeather to battle aliens should have a bette, more qualifed team. The overplaying of all the office love affairs is just silly and ruins the characters by making them seem shallow and uninteresting. Plot... most of the time they are ok but the comedy elements are again to over the top.

The one thing this show lacks is subtly.

Hobbit
January 16th, 2008, 03:58 PM
LOL. You beat me to it, Wulfa.

I have to say that my expectations were not particularly high for this: I really struggled through to the end of Season 1.

Bearing that in mind, I thought (in places) that this was better. I agree with most of what you've said, Wulfa, though I'm more inclined to stick with it than I was with Season 1.

I'm interested to see how they reedit that for the younger generation...

Mark / Hobbit

redhead
January 16th, 2008, 04:34 PM
i like Torchwood, and can't wait for season 2 to start.

yeah, there were some garbagy episodes in season 1, and entire eps that were nothing but filler.

but i admit it, i'm a shallow fangirl. give me a few good looking fellows, some freaky looking aliens, and some mysterious technologies, and i'm usually happy.

Wulfa_Jones
January 17th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Bearing that in mind, I thought (in places) that this was better. I agree with most of what you've said, Wulfa, though I'm more inclined to stick with it than I was with Season 1.

Mark / Hobbit

I'm going to stick with it and see how it develops. I'm pretty much a sucker for any genre TV, particually if it is British. I just can't helping thinking it is a wasted opportunity and has the potential to be so much better. I do think Primeval is actually a better show than Torchwood and I don't like to say that, not being a fan of ITV. Primeval has the humour and the soapy romantic elements but manages to carry it out with dignity.

Plus, John Barrowman is starting to look a little odd... I think, as the Doctor suggested last season, that he has had some work done....

Leiali
January 17th, 2008, 06:03 AM
We watched it last night having stopped watching the first season from pretty early on. I generally agree with you, though I didn't think the sexual references were piled on as thickly as before, however I thought at times they were inappropriate; In particular, the role of Captain Jack I mean, what kind of a boss dates their staff? It strikes me that the charismatic leadership they are trying to portray is so unrealistically shallow it beggars belief. For example, not having seen the interplay between characters in the first season, I was surprised to see Jack hitting on the young administrator who seemed quite a vulnerable character. His moral ambiguity would put me off working for him, not jump into his arms. What on earth possessess them to follow him?

The other thing I noted was that the writer was clearly a fan of Joss Whedon, as James Marsters script was so buffyesque, he barely seemed to have changed. Talk about typecast!

I'll watch a few more episodes, as it was slick, silly and engaging, but with such an annoyingly flawed leader and unnecessary sexual references, I'm not sure I can be bothered.

Wulfa_Jones
January 24th, 2008, 05:24 AM
The show continues to frustrate… watching last night’s episodes I saw glimmers of real potential. Maybe one day they’ll get the balance right and the show will really start to shine.

Hobbit
January 24th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Yes Wulfa, agreed. So far I'm liking it more than Season 1, but when I think it's just starting to get better... it falls flat on its face.

The story wasn't new, but it was better.

Mark / Hobbit

boyo
January 28th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Okay, I'll take a partially opposing view and say that I like it, because, simply, I do. It's caught my interest and I'd like to see it through. The only episode that I've truly despised was the "Cyberwoman" from Season One, which was truly despicable.

I'd like to think of myself as open-minded as well and I really don't care who sleeps with who and it really should be left at that with Torchwood as well. I think that if anything sinks it for the mainstream here in the States it will be the gay overtures. Then again, I've been known to be wrong before.

I am hoping the series rises to its potential and will continue to watch as long as it interests me.

Then again, there really isn't much to watch with the strike on and all.

cheers!

Hobbit
January 28th, 2008, 02:45 PM
it really should be left at that with Torchwood as well. Oh, I think that this is pretty unsubtle. ;)

I am hoping the series rises to its potential i think that this is the frustrating part for me: there could be so much more....

I am hoping the series rises to its potential Me, too. Sometimes, I am an optimist. :D

Mark / Hobbit

redhead
January 28th, 2008, 05:27 PM
fangirl redhead liked the episode. it was fast paced and abnoxious, and grossed out my husband.