PDA

View Full Version : Story identification: do you know this one?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

RobAtDelos
January 30th, 2008, 04:26 PM
Can you please help me find the name of the story with the following plot?

In a society with a distinctively bimodal IQ distribution, those at the high end run most important things. On a break from work, one of them unearths a coffin containing a man who appears to be in suspended animation (lightning struck the building in which his dental procedure was occurring). This problem is simple to repair in this future society, and thus the man is revived.

He is a marketing/advertising man. As the story unfolds, the folks at the high-end of the spectrum end up aiding our protagonist in selling the rest of the populace on moving to Venus. Of course, you can't move to Venus; the spaceships are launched into the sun.

----------------------

"The Man Who Sold Venus" would have been a title, but that's just too close to Heinlein's moon salesman.

Any tips would be appreciated; I've lost hope for retrieving the title from my addled brain.

Thanks!

RK

RVM45
January 30th, 2008, 04:36 PM
....."The Marching Morons".

.....RVM45 :cool:

RobAtDelos
January 30th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Thanks! Ten minutes has got to be a record of some sort.

RK

acereader
January 30th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks! Ten minutes has got to be a record of some sort.

RK

Just to let you know, all the smart people remaining will probably die of a virus that is transferred on dirty telephones.

:D

RimWorlder
January 31st, 2008, 11:59 AM
one of the best SF stories ever written!

You can get two views of the same future-past interaction by the same author if you read The Little Black Bag and The Marching Morons side by side. (LBB, something from the future comes into the past and informs on our society. In MM, someone travels into the future.)

My blog is named for that story (not that I've posted there recently) The Marching Moron.

After you read that story again, take a look at today's rampant consumerism and then tell me Kornbluth wasn't marvellously prophetic...