View Full Version : Help me find a book

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

freedman
February 8th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Hi,

Several years ago, when i was in middle school, I read a science fiction novel that I found at my public library. I am now trying to find it again, but i cannot remember the title of it. I was hoping that if i put up a description of it someone would recognise it and let me know the title:

It was a trilogy centered around the war between two coalitions of alien races. One is "evil" and is lead by some sort of mind controlling reptile like race and goes around conquering other planets. The other the "good" guys try to intervene and protect weak races from being conquered. I only remember two races in this coalition, one is birdlike and is responsible for a lot of intelligence work, and the other one is wolflike in appearance, and traditionally fills the roll of shock troops in this struggle. The story moves forward with the "evil" coalition finding earth (roughly around our time) and attempting to conquer us. The good guys intervene, and eventually decide to enlist us in their coalition because humans have unique characteristics that would make them excellent for combat.We have really dense bodies and while we are smaller in stature than these other races, we are significantly more powerful. Also, human minds are consumed with raw/primitive violence and whenever one of the "bad" guys attempts to make contact with our minds, they are overwhelmed by our minds and die from the exertion.
Something like that,
if that sounds familiar to anyone, please let me know.
Am a first time poster, so sorry if i broke any rules.

Sfinx
February 8th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the elaborate description freedman!

As for this elusive book - thing is that the 'mind controlling reptile like race' that wants to conquer other worlds immediately reminds me of the Commonwealth Saga by Peter Hamilton and the two alien races + humans of Ringworld by Larry Niven; but unfortunately i can't place the combination of the two...Reason for still posting this reply is that you'll probably enjoy the two titles mentioned here as well :)

Bluestar
February 8th, 2008, 09:45 AM
The story sounds familiar, I'm certain I read an excerpt of it somewhere. I haven't read it, but it does sounds interesting.

Do you have any ideas of the year it was when you read the book? Do you know it's publication date? Is there any names that come to mind, be it of characters, races or places? Was it Young Adult of Adult literature? How thick was the book?

freedman
February 8th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Thank you for the replies.
I read the books in 1999, and they were in the adult section at my public library. I would say that each of the three were about an inch or two thick.
I also just remembered that there is a time gap of about 300 years between the first and second book.
I will keep posting this information as i think of it.

KatG
February 8th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that it's Alan Dean Foster's Damned trilogy, written in the early 1990's. The three books were A Call to Arms, The False Mirror and The Spoils of War. Check it out and see if that's the one.

A similar one was the SF movie, The Last Starfighter, for which oddly enough, Foster wrote the novelization, but that was a one shot deal.

freedman
February 8th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Yes!! I just looked at it, and i can tell just from the cover that thats the right set of books. Thanks a lot.
For those of you who want a more accurate description than the one i posted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Damned_Trilogy
It does have spoilers.

Also. I mentioned my search for this book to a friend over lunch, and he replied "you know that the biggest science fiction library in the world is on the fourth floor of this building". I was pretty amazed as I have been eating lunch here for the past four years. I got a membership, and rented the damned trilogy. This is the beginning of a great era of science fiction reading for me.

KatG
February 9th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I don't suppose that you'd want to tell us which building it is and where it is, would you? Because folks in the area might want to check it out.

Glad I was able to I.D. it for you. Usually, I'm no help with these things, so it's nice that it actually rang a bell for me this time.

freedman
February 9th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Ha yea.
Its on the fourth floor of the student center at MIT. In cambridge, massachusetts.