PDA

View Full Version : Being Human - BBC3 pilot

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Wulfa_Jones
February 19th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Last night I watched, what I consider, to be one of the best BBC shows I've seen in a long time.

The show was called Being Human and is one of the pilots for potential new shows that BBC3 is showing as part of its re-branding.

The premise of the show is a vampire and a werewolf move into a house which is haunted by the ghost of a pervious occupant. It was sold as a comedy-drama, but this would be underselling it greatly. It was essentially a drama series with comedy elements about three twenty somethings house sharing, but it is the potential of the “secondary” supernatural story elements that gave the episode depth.

The vampire councils plans to “start hunting” again and Mitchell’s defiance of these plans.
The unfinished business that Annie has – the reason she is a ghost.

It was all around well done – shot very well, good direction and pretty good acting. The FX on the werewolf change was very impressive indeed – along the lines of American Werewolf in London.

It had the tone just right and I think it would be a real shame if it didn’t get a chance as a series. It is on BBC i-Player for those in the UK and I think it’ll be repeated on BBC3 during the week.

Monty Mike
February 19th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Nice one. Thanks for the heads-up! :D

Hobbit
February 20th, 2008, 06:04 PM
Yeah: thanks Wulfa: I've just caught up with this myself, and I've got to agree, I really enjoyed it (though not too original ;) ).

Do you think there's enough scope for a series, though?

Mark / Hobbit

Wulfa_Jones
February 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah: thanks Wulfa: I've just caught up with this myself, and I've got to agree, I really enjoyed it (though not too original ;) ).

Do you think there's enough scope for a series, though?

Mark / Hobbit

True, not the most orginal story, but fresh enough for it to be interesting. I do think there is enough material for a British series - i.e. 6 to 8 episodes. I think a US style show of 25 plus episodes might be pushing it a bit.

There is still a lot of story to be told...

Obviously the Vampire Council story could be a long running arc, the focus is clearly on the drama, but there is a fair bit of material there.
Werewolf chap - clearly there other Werewovles. His origin story could be interesting as would encouters with others of his kind.
The unresolved business of the ghost as well.

Then there are the every day drama elements that I felt the show wanted to focus on. The drama and comedy elements of them trying to live normal lives, but being anything but.

I really liked the concept and enjoyed the pilot and I'd like to see more. For modern British genre programing, it got the tone right unlike the handful of other genre related programing we make in the UK.

Hobbit
February 21st, 2008, 06:55 PM
I really liked the concept and enjoyed the pilot and I'd like to see more. For modern British genre programing, it got the tone right unlike the handful of other genre related programing we make in the UK.

I think I'm of the same mind. There was a nice balance between the mundane and the supernatural, which you need in urban fantasy. And I'll agree with you as to the length. Could get away with 8 - 12 episodes, I think. (Not too uncommon in UK TV!) But a series of 23: hmm.

Mark / Hobbit

Rob B
February 21st, 2008, 08:47 PM
This sounds pretty interesting, hopefully BBC America will pick it up here in the States.

Wulfa_Jones
February 22nd, 2008, 09:49 AM
http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/articles/6/492

There is a glowing review of the episode above and a link to a petition set up by the reviewer to get the BBC to greenlight a full series.

Wulfa_Jones
February 16th, 2009, 08:31 AM
A little late coming, but Being Human was picked up for a full season (6 episodes) and has been showing on BBC3 on Sunday evenings.

Whilst two of the leads, Mitchell the vampire and Annie the ghost, have new actors playing them, the full series is full of the same promise that the trailer offered.

A mix of humour and drama, but with supernatural undertones. The show is a true "British Buffy" unlike the rather poor ITV Demons.

Characters have each had an episode that focuses on them directly, but also has sub-stories for the other characters. The is a clear story arc that is developing and next weeks episode looks like we'll find out more about it.

The fourth episode aired in the UK last night and I hear that BBC America has picked the show up as well.