View Full Version : Niel Gaiman

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Alucard
September 7th, 2001, 08:30 AM
Many of us are familiar with his comics(which are great by the way), but having just finished his first book, Neverwhere, he has a ton of potential. Neverwhere was filled to the brim with creativity, with something new popping up around every corner. I only had a few minor gripes about the writing style, but nothing that stopped it from being a great book. So I was wondering if any of you have read anything else by him. I hear he has a new novel out called American Gods, which sounds to be interesting. But other than that, I'm not sure about what else he's written and whether or not it's as good as his first. Any thoughts or information?

FitzChivalry
September 7th, 2001, 10:29 AM
I only started reading Neil Gaiman about a year and a half ago, till now i read only Neverwhere and Stardust, but i can safely say that he is one of the most original fantasy authors out there and certainly one of the best.
I intend to read everything of his that i can get my hands on.

Alucard
September 7th, 2001, 10:37 AM
I think I am in the same boat as you Fitzchivalry, if Neverwhere is any indication. And I just got back from the library with stardust, which I will begin tonight. Hope it's as good as neverwhere......

Caly
September 7th, 2001, 12:36 PM
IMO Stardust is every bit as good as Neverwhere, even though it is in a totally different vein. Stardust is an orginal fairy tale set in the old time Faerie. Very good. Very funny. Very bizaree. I highly recommend it. If you can get the illustrated version do it. The sex scene alone is worth it *lol*.

He really doesn't have much out in the way of books b/c he was always busy doing other thigns. He has a collaboration with Terry Pratchett, Good Omens, but I haven't read it b/c I can't stand TP. I really want to get American Gods, but it is not in my budget at the moment.

Since someone posted his website here, www.neilgaiman.com (http://www.neilgaiman.com) I have been feverishly reading his journal section. They are totally hilarious. I think he is just a great guy all around.

Caleyna http://www.fantasyfreaks.org

FitzChivalry
September 8th, 2001, 03:53 AM
Oh, yeah, i also read Good Omens, it was the funniest fantasy book i read, equaled only by Douglas Adams' stuff, which is sci fi anyway...

Caly, i can't stand Pratchett either, yet i found Good Omens hilarious, Gaiman's spirit is in that book and it shows, give it a try.

[This message has been edited by FitzChivlary (edited September 08, 2001).]

Barbarossa
September 9th, 2001, 10:11 PM
Books by Gaiman:
novels:

Good Omens (with Pratchett)
Neverwhere
Stardust
American Gods

Short fiction and Poetry:
Angels and visitations
(very limited edition, out of print, worth a lot if you should ever find it)

Smoke and mirrors
(contains all of Angels and visitations too)

I didn't read american gods yet, but all other books are reccomended a lot, especially Smoke and mirrors

Sammie
September 10th, 2001, 08:28 AM
Good Omens in one of my alltime favorite books. There's definitly something very Douglas Adams about it. Nuf said. Sam.

Steven Savile
September 10th, 2001, 12:10 PM
The reason you probably enjoyed Good Omens despite disliking Pratchett is that (if I have the story right) Neil had already done the first 13 or so chapters pretty fully before he approached El Tel...

Alucard
October 5th, 2001, 09:44 PM
Read stardust a little while back, and I really enjoyed it, though it took a little while to get going. But a great story nonetheless, and definitely one of the most interesting fairytales out there...

I just finished American gods, and if you haven't read it yet, and especially if your a gaiman fan, pick this one up. Yet again, it's a story unlike anything I've ever read. I could write a synopsis, but I think it's a lot more fun to watch the story unfold. Gaiman has got a real creative mind on him, and all of his stories are about as original as they come. American gods is no exception, and in short, it's simply fantastic. Go read it...

-A little warning, if sexual content offends you(and some rather bizarre sexual content, I must add), you might want to pass american gods up. Otherwise, buckle up and enjoy the ride...

matthewajg
October 10th, 2001, 05:50 AM
Gaiman is, without a doubt, one of the penultimate fantasy writers of our times (is that overstating it a bit? I don't think so). His stories, while building on the mythos and legends of various cultures, are fresh and imaginative. He has a style which is both contemporary and immediate. Most of his works are urban or modern fantasy, allwoing most readers the opportunity to see events through the eyes of a view point character very much like ourselves. He is enjoyable and expansive. Read Gaiman, and you'll fall in love with his work (if you haven't already) and learn aspects of mythology from a whole new angle. Read NEVERWHERE, STARDUST, SMOKE AND MIRRORS, ANGELS AND VISITATIONS, and AMERICAN GODS. Of course, do read the SANDMAN series of graphic novels as well...they're a real treat and a wild mind-bender at that!