PDA

View Full Version : I'm going crazy. Please tell me if this sounds familiar.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Takoren
March 8th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Okay, first off, I'm going off memories that are a good twenty to twenty-five years old, here.

Back in the early 80's, I twice saw a short sketch or film that was played in its entirety between different shows. It took place entirely at a kitchen table, in what looked like a minimalist set, and started off with a man and woman sitting with newspapers held up in front of their faces so that we could not see what they looked like at all. Their son enters, and starts off with "Well, Mom. Dad...." and I really don't recall most of what was said after, except that the parents seem really blase and don't seem to care at all what the son has to say. This seems to disturb the son more and more as the conversation goes on.

At one point, near the end, the two parents drop their hands from their papers, which remain dangling in the air before them, being held up by nothing. The son gets really freaked by this and yells "You're not my parents! You can't be! Somebody help me!" The sketch ends with the son running off and the "father" saying something and then laughing derisively.

I can't find mention of this anywhere online. I'm going nuts. I'd be willing to believe it came entirely out of my own head if I didn't clearly recall seeing it twice and even what show had come on just before it ("Standby: Lights! Camera! Action!" with Leonard Nimoy).

Has anyone else seen or heard of this? A title, who played the characters, anything would be helpful.