View Full Version : Star Trek: The First Generation

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

adamc
March 8th, 2008, 07:45 PM
My wife's a big fan of these, so we bought all three seasons on DVD and have been sharing them with our daughter (who loves the funny episodes, like tribbles).

I watched then when they came out, but I was only a little kid, so of course I don't remember them very well. They're better than I thought; I'm somewhat allergic to Shatner, but he does a good job with most of the scripts. Nimoy is brilliant.

Kind of sad that they only got three years...

Dragonrider
April 4th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I love watching these, although some of the third season episodes get a bit "out there".

It DOES make you wonder where they might have gone if they'd gotten a full 7-season run, doesn't it?

Wulfa_Jones
April 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM
My wife's a big fan of these, so we bought all three seasons on DVD and have been sharing them with our daughter (who loves the funny episodes, like tribbles).

I watched then when they came out, but I was only a little kid, so of course I don't remember them very well. They're better than I thought; I'm somewhat allergic to Shatner, but he does a good job with most of the scripts. Nimoy is brilliant.

Kind of sad that they only got three years...

I think Shanter is amazing in that whole, but I suppose I watch it in an almost post modern sense - the character has become such an icon that it is hard to imagine him played anyother way. I do like the original series, it is good fun and pretty forward thinking in its own way.

The series has been continued in a couple of ways, the five year mission continues in the fan produced New Voyagers (which is very good), a few of the plot lines for the series were used for the Next Gen and Star Trek: The Motion Picture was also based on an idea for an episode of the series.

adamc
April 6th, 2008, 11:45 AM
The first Star Trek movie was truly awful, though.

psikeyhackr
April 9th, 2008, 11:49 AM
I watched the original series on a black and white TV. I had started reading sci-fi books years before though.

It was very good sci-fi for its day but it still TOO 60's.

Kirk was The Lone Ranger in outer space and Spock was Tonto.

Like the Green Hornet and Kato.

Napoleon Solo and Ilya Kuriyakin.

I loved Mirror, Mirror whar Spock told Kirk he had orders to kill him. :D

What I really wonder is what Roddenberry would have created without so much network control. We didn't learn until years later how The Cage got turned down and another pilot made.

psik

adamc
April 9th, 2008, 08:32 PM
It is certainly very 1960s. The camp is part of the appeal, for me. The early shows, that take themselves more seriously, aren't as good.

I wasn't as big a fan of the later series, or Babylon 5. All of those felt like they took themselves more seriously.

psikeyhackr
April 11th, 2008, 12:10 AM
It is certainly very 1960s. The camp is part of the appeal, for me....I wasn't as big a fan of the later series, or Babylon 5. All of those felt like they took themselves more seriously.

Yeah, these arguments where people just talk about good and bad and like and dislike make no sense. People need to specify the basis of their judgment.

I like serious sci-fi that can give me stuff to think about months after I have watched it and sometimes even research things mentioned in the show. I consider DS9 to be the best of the lot. Star Fleet was so goody two shoes, butter wouldn't melt in it's mouth sometimes it made me want to puke. I wanted to shoot Picard in the head at the end of The Pegasus episode. Turning off the phased cloak so the Romulans would know about it. He could have just left them and reported what happened and let the higher ups decide what to do. No one could have faulted him for that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pegasus_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

The DS9 episode In the Pale Moonlight epitomizes the difference between that series and the rest of Trek. Garak assasinates a Romulan senator. :D :D I loved it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Pale_Moonlight

But Babylon 5 was still significantly better than DS9.

psik

adamc
April 11th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I think it's hard for a television show to really support anything I would call "serious" science fiction in a believable way. An hour-long television show (probably more like 45 minutes once you consider commercials) just isn't long enough to develop a complex chain of ideas. But it's good for characterization, mostly because our brains are very adept at reading faces and assessing human behavior. But then, I have a bias in favor of more light-hearted fiction.

Anyhow, what made the original show interesting for me was the relationship between the central characters, more than the skin-deep sf.

psikeyhackr
April 12th, 2008, 12:21 AM
An hour-long television show (probably more like 45 minutes once you consider commercials) just isn't long enough to develop a complex chain of ideas.

That is where Babylon 5 broke the mold. Unfortunately I think it will be a long time before anybody does something similar. There are reasons to suspect that DS9 was a rip-off of JMS but I'm not complaining because we got two good shows with interesting similarities.

It is amusing to have gotten universe and story based around metaphysics from someone claiming to be an atheist.

psik

boyo
April 23rd, 2008, 08:13 AM
"Star Trek" (The Original Series) was the show that set the mold for all sf shows that would follow it. Even today, comparisons are made (even when they shouldn't be) to The Original Series. At a time when most (though not all) sci-fi series were either aimed at children or were more "monster-of-the-week" variety, Star Trek actually made a serious attempt to tell the morality stories that "The Twilight Zone" did so well.

Yeah, there was a lot of camp and some stories fell flat on their faces, but some shows were absolutely brilliant...it was destined to fail and it's amazing it lasted three seasons, though one does have to wonder what could have been accomplished had The Enterprise completed its five-year mission.

As for ST:DS9 and Babylon 5....there have been allegations and accusations for years and we may never get the truth, but we did get two serious, ass-kicking shows that were more apples and oranges when you got down to it. There were many similarities and many differences and the debate could go on for years, but for many there is but one question (I pose laughingly):

In a face off fight, which would have prevailed: The Defiant or The White Star?