View Full Version : Trying to find a SciFi book

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

jeremymarsh
March 12th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Hi,

My first post on these forums so hopefully somebody can help me.

I'm trying to find a book i was reading about 5 years ago i thought it was quite good and would like to re-read it but i can't find it anywhere.

All i can remember is the basic plot.

"due to overcrowding of the earth everybody gets to only live/be animated one day of the week for the rest of the time people are put in suspended animation.

The Hero of the story is a man who actually lives 7 different lives on each of the seven different days until "Something" happens that uncovers his secret identitys."

I may have some of this wrong i just hope somebody can help me as i have had no luck finding it whatsover (Google, Amazon, etc).

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy

Anders
March 13th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Found this using Google:

Philip José Farmer's Library Journal, February 15 1985
(Berkley/Putnam 12967-7) In the 35th century, people live only one day a week, spending the other six days in suspended animation. Jeff Caird, a policeman in Tuesday's World, is also a "daybreaker," illegally living seven different lives as seven different people - until the week he becomes both hunter and hunted in a mad chase across seven different cultures. Full of kaleidoscopic images and boasting a likeable, if schizophrenic, hero, Farmer's latest novel, first in a new series, highlights the fertile imagination that garnered so many fans for his Riverworld series. Recommended. (Jackie Cassada)

http://www.pjfarmer.com/reviews.htm

Checked Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Jos%C3%A9_Farmer#Novels

Found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dayworld_%281985%29

"Dayworld is the first in the Dayworld trilogy of science fiction novels by Philip José Farmer. The story is set in a dystopian future in which an overpopulated world that solves the problem by allocating people only one day per week. For the rest of the six days they are 'stoned,' a kind of suspended animation. The novels focus on a man, Jeff Caird, who is a daybreaker, someone who lives more than one day a week. But he is not like most daybreakers, he belongs to a government defying group called the “Immers”. The Immers are a very large and powerful group that works to create a better government. Not all Immers are daybreakers, so to get messages and information from one day to the next, they have daybreakers, like Jeff, to work in everyday. The daybreakers of the Immers assume seven different personalities and seven different jobs. They slip from culture to culture, in seven different worlds. While Jeff and the other six men of him go day to day, they run into problems while working as an immer and as a daybreaker, and they must cover their tracks. All while trying to keep up with his seven different lives, families, friends, and jobs. It could drive a man crazy. Eventually it does, and the Immers must dispose of him to keep the rest of the immers safe. Jeff, wanting to live, tries to escape the Immers, but they are so large and powerful, they have many immers undercover in every job, area, and government level. Jeff is caught and put in a sort of insane asylum, classified with “multiple personality disorder”, for the legal time before he is considered “incurable”, and is killed. But Jeff has an escape plan…"

jeremymarsh
March 13th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Your an absolute legend mate!

Thats exactly the book.

Now i just have to find a place selling it.

Cheers!

Jeremy

Ropie
March 13th, 2008, 02:51 PM
That was the first SF book I went out and bought myself (when I was about 11)! Great cover in the UK.

Michigan
March 15th, 2008, 03:14 AM
Read this book a long time ago, probably in HS. I remember liking it but I thought there were sequels that I never was able to get my hands on. Not like Phillip Jose Farmer is very popular at Borders these days.