View Full Version : Top 10 !!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Belgarion
October 31st, 2001, 02:10 AM
Just thought I ought to post the top ten selected from a large selection of readers on the www.circle-of-fantasy.com (http://www.circle-of-fantasy.com) website!

Interest to note that the underrated Eddings, Goodkind, and Tolkien all feature in the top 10. It doesn't surprise me though.

Any comments and thoughts on this top 10?

It is coming from the opinions of many hard-core fantasy readers.

Placing Author Book Points
1 J.R.R. Tolkien Lord of the Rings 592
2 Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn 408
3 George R.R. Martin A Song of Ice and Fire 355
4 Robert Jordan The Wheel of Time 225
5 Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth 192
6 Raymond E. Feist The Riftwar Saga 175
7 David Eddings The Belgariad Saga 161
8 M.Weis & T.Hickman Dragonlance 148
9 Terry Pratchett Discworld-Cycle 132
10 Robin Hobb The Farseer Saga 131
11 Terry Brooks The Shannara Saga 102
12 J.K. Rawling Harry Potter Series 96
13 Marion Zimmer Bradley Avalon Series 88
14 Paul Kearney The Monarchies of God 88
15 J.R.R. Tolkien The little Hobbit 82

Cygnus
October 31st, 2001, 08:52 AM
This seems pretty consistent with the various polls on this discussion board. The notable exception being Goodkind at number 5.. there are only a few of us here that think of his work so highly!

I've read everything on this list except The Monarchies of God by Kearney. I've never even heard of this author. What is this book about.. any opinions?

Sorry!! No need to respond to Kearney opinions here, I just read through the rest of the recent posts and found one devoted to him.

[This message has been edited by Cygnus (edited October 31, 2001).]

Rob B
October 31st, 2001, 09:02 AM
This poll is not too suprising.

The Internet Top 100 SF/Fantasy List (http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/6113/top100.html) is another one, which is updated pretty regularly and seems to have a wider poll base.

Check www.paulkearneyonline.com (http://www.paulkearneyonline.com) for info. He's a UK author, his first book of Monarchies of God, Hawkwood's Voyage will hit US Shelves this January.

Hobbit
October 31st, 2001, 09:48 AM
There is also another thread here which mentions Paul Kearney's work. Read the first & recommended.

Hobbit

Sojourn
October 31st, 2001, 12:10 PM
I'd say the top 3 spots are rightly earned and justified. Having read all three, I'm quite pleased with their relative positions on the poll. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Just goes to show that despite all the criticism of those top 3 works that goes on in the forum, the masses have spoken. Hey Belgarion, would it be possible to use your list in a court of law as support material in a case against the anti-Tolkien/Williams/Martin prosecutors? http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/wink.gif

allanon
October 31st, 2001, 07:07 PM
Hmmm...this is interesting. IMHO,there is not so important in which place the books are. The important thing is that,they are "in".
First-LotR...boring.But there is no surprise,because:
1]The book is still very popular and many people thinks-J.R. is first,so he is the best.
2] Many people,who usually don't read fantasy,bought LotR and said "this is the book"
3] The film
Second-"Memory,Sorrow and Thorns..." by Tad Williams and
Third-ASOIF by GRRM-I haven't read these series,so I can not make good comment.
Fouth-WoT-if the books was about six or five,Jordan coud be leader,but after books 8&9,this is the result.
Fifth-SoT-I read this book,but I won't cmment its higher place.
Sixth-"Riftwar Saga" by Raymond Feist.
Legend is legend,after all
Seventh-"Belgariad" by Eddings-the same story like Feist-legend is legend...
Eight-DragonLance-nice result to this good book.
Ninth-DiscWorld- well...OK.
Tenth-"Farseer"-the saga was pretty boring,but maybe for you it is not.
My final comment is:
As a placing,this list is not very good. But as "racers" it is OK.
P.S. Belgarion,I invite you to join us in the Message Board of www.eddingschronicles.com (http://www.eddingschronicles.com)

Tom Bombadil
October 31st, 2001, 08:15 PM
woah, i never thought there was a place where you could talk and people would listen. i love Tolkien and i am sad to say my interest in literature just sparked two years ago. i have barley cracked Tolkien open, rounding off with the Silmarillion. i think the Silmarilion should be read before the Hobbit which i believe is necessary to read before the Lord of the Rings, some people don't believe so. geez i need to find someone who wants to chat about Tolkien or who wants to challenge me. it seems i'm surrounded by people who wouldn't know a book from a movie accept by the actors. i want people who are listening to me, and not thinking of what their gonna say once i shut up. Sustinance - and i don't give a damn for grammar -

mundanemies
November 1st, 2001, 08:09 AM
Placing Author Book Points
1 J.R.R. Tolkien Lord of the Rings 592
2 Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn 408
3 George R.R. Martin A Song of Ice and Fire 355
4 Robert Jordan The Wheel of Time 225
5 Terry Goodkind Sword of Truth 192
6 Raymond E. Feist The Riftwar Saga 175
7 David Eddings The Belgariad Saga 161
8 M.Weis & T.Hickman Dragonlance 148
9 Terry Pratchett Discworld-Cycle 132
10 Robin Hobb The Farseer Saga 131
11 Terry Brooks The Shannara Saga 102
12 J.K. Rawling Harry Potter Series 96
13 Marion Zimmer Bradley Avalon Series 88
14 Paul Kearney The Monarchies of God 88
15 J.R.R. Tolkien The little Hobbit 82

Like earlier posters have said, this is not a surprising list, though that Harry Potter is only 12th is a bit of a upset. Considering the nature of very general and popular fantasybooks(series) on the list.

But popular is not the same as good nor is unpopular necessarily bad. De gustibus non est disputandum and so forth.

Shehzad
November 1st, 2001, 08:19 AM
When will the world awaken to Mieville and Stover?

(I win FF!)

Bardos
November 1st, 2001, 09:19 AM
The world wants crap, as usuall...