View Full Version : Doctor Who: Season 4/30

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Wulfa_Jones
April 5th, 2008, 04:25 PM
So we are back to what is becoming a must see every year - the first episode of a new season of Doctor Who and as usual the first episode if a little weak as they have been since Tennant took over.

One thing became apparent during this episode and that is the casting of Tate was a really bad idea. Her acting skills tend to range over the majority of the characters she portrays in her sketch show. I don't know if the "oh my god" scene was supposed to be an in-joke, but if it was I think it was a bad idea as it felt like I was watching a Children in Need or Comic Relief episode.

Some of the future story lines do sound interesting and it was a surprise to see (switching to spoiler mode, spoilers do cover the rest of the season as well!)

Rose pop up. I am interested to see how she become involved in the story. I know she doesn't pop up again till the final two parter - which also has Captain Jack and Martha in it. Martha isn't in as many of the episodes as I originally thought based on what I have read, but at least this season does see the return of UNIT.

I was sad to see in the trailer that the Dalek's are back again (I am watching the first Dalek's story on BBC 4 as I type). Don't know how they are going to bring them back again as on last count there was only one left and the trailer showed a few more than that. I also hear Davros is back... but then I'm sure I heared that last season as well

Well I'm still interested to see how the season develops and I'll still be watching it every Saturday. I wonder how the future for Who will unfold with this being the last season till 2010. Will the show runner change? will the doctor change?

On a slight tangent, the BBC is producing another fantasy type show for Saturday evenings after the success of Who and Robin Hood. The show is Merlin and has already been picked up by a US network so it can't be all bad!

Ouroboros
April 5th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I've lost track of both Doctor Who and Torchwood after the first season (the perils of doing shift-work). Really annoyingly, the boxed sets seem so expensive compared to american shows... I'd be reluctant to fork out for them, and I don't see them for rent.

Wulfa_Jones
April 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Well if you are based in the UK you can catch them anytime on the BBC iplayer or if you have cable the on demand service. They are normally on for a week after the first showing.

fluffy bunny
April 10th, 2008, 04:16 PM
iplayer's a godsend for those of us doing dodgy shifts

Re:season 4

Thought the 1st episode wasn't really that meaty (no pun based on those blobby things intended). Tate seems a tad shouty, but you could argue that to change things around, the producers needed to bring something new into the mix companion wise (see what happened when Gwen in Torchwood was similar in terms of tone as Rose - it took a season and a half to give her any identity or substance whatsoever). I wonder what the writers can do with her.

I guess Rose is back from the alternate universe through yet anouther crack in time/dimensional space. Will she be bringing the cybermen back with her?

Ouroboros
April 10th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I haven't got to grips with this TV on demand business, to be honest.. I've just got bog-standard cable.

Incidentally I saw Doctor Who season 1 (complete) for sale yesterday at a whopping 120 euro... Probably the most expensive DVD boxed set only containing one season I've ever seen. It was a glaring contrast to HBO boxed sets and whatnot at 30 euro a pop.

Surely the BBC or whoever is responsible for packaging and selling these DVD boxed sets don't have overheads that are that high...?

I'm whinging, I know. Eventually I'll get around to seeing all these new Doctor Whos are they are replayed endlessly on UK Gold. ;)

Luke_B
May 17th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Broadband and BitTorrent are your friends.

I'm enjoying the fourth season. Although she can be annoying, Tate has a good sense of comic timing. Glad Martha is back. I will catch up with episode 7 tonight. I was underwhelmed by the Sontaran double episode, but I really enjoyed The Fires of Pompeii and Planet of the Odd and I also dug The Doctor's Daughter. My guess - this is the last season to feature the Tenth Doctor.

Khallandra
May 29th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I'm enjoying Donna as a companion, I like that she is completely different to any of the other New Who companions. I'm looking forward to this week's episode, but I don't want to be afraid of the dark like I am now afraid of garden statues.

Mechaniik
May 29th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Good News! apparently Steven Moffat is going to be taking over the running of doctor who from Russel T. Davies at the end of the season as head writer and Executive Producer. For those of you who don't know, Moffat wrote episodes like blink and the Doctor Dances - he has been one of the better writers on the show.

mirage2101
June 1st, 2008, 08:21 PM
I haven't got to grips with this TV on demand business, to be honest.. I've just got bog-standard cable.

Incidentally I saw Doctor Who season 1 (complete) for sale yesterday at a whopping 120 euro... Probably the most expensive DVD boxed set only containing one season I've ever seen. It was a glaring contrast to HBO boxed sets and whatnot at 30 euro a pop.

Surely the BBC or whoever is responsible for packaging and selling these DVD boxed sets don't have overheads that are that high...?

I'm whinging, I know. Eventually I'll get around to seeing all these new Doctor Whos are they are replayed endlessly on UK Gold. ;)

120 euro?? that's insane.. i got my S1 for like 12 euro.. it probably wasn't priced correctly since the seperate dvd's are 8 euro but hey..
even then it'd come down to the more common price of 50 euro for a 24 episode season.. or 30 for shorter seasons.

I don't like Donna so much but it's better then whatshername of the previous season.. It started out good with a "smart" companion but then went downhill quickly.
Rose hasn't turned up yet in anything aired on the bbc other then quick flashes and shots but there are hints she's coming back. Silence in the library also forecasted some things that i won't put down here to avoid spoilers :)
But in general i'm really enjoying this show. It's a lot better then most of what's out there at the moment.

Wulfa_Jones
June 2nd, 2008, 04:55 AM
I've been a little underwhelmed with this season so far, but this episode (Silence in the Library) was outstanding. For me, it was one of the best episodes since the series was restarted.

I don't want to get my hopes up to high for 2010, but with Moffat's writing so far, I think we are in for a treat.