View Full Version : Marvel's Secret Invasion

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Wulfa_Jones
April 5th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Pretty interesting stuff really in the first issue of this years big Marvel event. Those who read marvel know that it has been developing for a little while now, but if we are to believe the hype, Bendis has been developing the idea slowly for the last few years and that all the big events during this year show how involved the Skrull.

The big reveal in this first issue is quite interesting...

Are the current batch of Earth heroes all skrulls without knowing it? If so, how long have they been so? The heroes that came back in the middle of that issue had some old uniforms, looks and lives! Beast was the old style Beast, Phoenix is back... again and Luke Cage had one old outfit on!

I'll be looking forward to seeing how this story line develops.

Ouroboros
April 5th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I just don't know what to make of this... This type of storyline would definitley have packed a punch a couple of decades back when everyone was worried about Communist infiltrators, but nowadays I wonder how it will be received?

Who knows, maybe in this era of terrorist cells within our own borders the "Who do you trust?" tagline will be quite gripping. If nothing else the plotline will afford Marvel's writers the possibility of resurrecting dead heroes and villains, in time-honoured fashion.

One thing does occur to me about the idea of the Skrull having penetrated human society to this degree is that there are plausibility problems. If they had the power to replace so many superheroes in the first place then presumably presidents and world leaders and whatnot would have proven even easier... If they're that competent, I can't see how their plans would plausibly unravel or be open to challenge at this point.

kater
April 7th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Yeah I'm cautiously optimistic about the storyline, it can't be worse than Civil War and there is scope for it to be quite entertaining. Cynically though it seems custom built to undo all the poor decisions the Marvel editing staff have made recently - One More Day, killing Cap, bringing back Marvell etc.

UltraRob
April 7th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Gee, I wonder where they got the idea for this plotline (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dire_Wraith)?

Rumour has it Marvel will have a change of leadership shortly, so who knows? They might just start to bring Marvel back to the way it should be, but I doubt it. :(

Rob

Ouroboros
April 7th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Kater-

I know what you mean about the 'Civil War' plotline. On the one hand, there were a couple of great set-pieces, and clearly it was a very contemporary storyline... But they managed to squander the whole thing.

A dust-up between most of the superhero community and the US government somehow was reduced to what seemed like a scrap between twenty-five guys on either side, in the sewers and in the city streets. What differentiated it between any previous storyline involving a fight between one or more team?

Offing Captain America, to me, could have worked but I think it's likely, as you say, that he's going to make a comeback in one form another, so ultimately even that will look like a rather perfunctory stunt.

Rob B
April 7th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Not that DC is always great at these mega crossovers, but Marvel's always seem half-assed. This seems no different to me and {cough Battlestar Galactica/Cylons cough} seems really familiar to some other popular genre stories.

Ouroboros
April 8th, 2008, 12:08 AM
I'm not terribly up on the whole Marvel universe, but it seems to me that hasn't this plot been done with the Skrull before? Most recently, as part of the Ultimates imprint?

Fuxxy Elf
April 8th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I disagree with Cap being killed off being a stunt. I've just read through the whole Cap run of Brubaker's, reading it separate from Civil War, and it reads like a natural way for the plot to go within that one title. Brubaker's been exploring throughout the run who Cap is...the man or the name...and killing him off and replacing him just gives that theme somewhere new to go. After a bit of research, I've discovered that Bru always intended to bump off Cap within his title, but was asked to time it specifically at the end of Civil War.

So a legitimate story that has been highjacked by the higher-ups at Marvel to make the end of Civil War a bit more dramatic.

Wulfa_Jones
April 9th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I agree, I think the whole civil war arc and the death of Steve Rogers worked really well. I think the storylines about at the moment are much better than those of the past. I mean I've been a comic book fan for 15 odd years and I've got a number of trades and collections dating back to the 70s and 80s. I think the story lines now are much better than some of those of the late 90s.

I'm also enjoying Bucky's run as Captain America. I do think he will continue to be Captain America for a good while yet. Steve Rogers may come back in one form or another, but then name a hero that has died that this has happened? Just as long as Jean Grey doesn't come back again I'll be happy!

I don't think the returning heroes are the real-deal, at least not all of them. If the Skrulls revert back to looking like Skrulls when they die...

The think the DC world is much more complex than that of Marvel.

As for the Battlestar Galactica comparisons don't make much sense... the cold war saw the idea of people being replaced by aliens being used a whole lot more. It is just that it has become relevant again due to fears of terrorists.

kater
April 14th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Ouro -
You make the most salient point about spandex comics at present, no matter how smart the storyline or the potential it invariably falls into super powered characters throwing down. The last two issues of Civil War consisted of a series of splash pages to show a fight. With the Marvel Universe more so than DC there is a political element that offers up many intriguing storylines that go wanting and I think they could be a bit more discerning in the direction titles take.

For what it's worth, the first volume of Ultimates did indeed feature this same general storyline of Skrull's pretending to be humans and invading all walks of life, infrastructure etc

I agree with Fuxxy, the Bru Cap run is superb, right now no-one is writing better spandex than Brubaker not to mention his absolutely brilliant noir title Criminal with Sean Phillips. But the point I guess is that Secret Invasion does pose the very real possibility that Cap can be 'returned' and then his death would seem to be short term publicity grabbing, even if Bru didn't conceive of it as such. We all know Cap will come back at some point, but this soon and by this method would hugely undermine the integrity of what came before.

I'd be extremely happy if both companies felt the need not to make another crossover for quite some time, they aren't ever very good - Annihilation would be my one exception - it just seems like they're a lot of hot air over nothing. We'll see what happens with #2.