PDA

View Full Version : Highlander film (original) is it the best of the saga?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

FremenWarrior
April 8th, 2008, 01:26 PM
i just want to know if you agree or your views on the highlander saga...
The first film was amazing did it crash and burn afterwards??:confused:

Fantasyeatergal
April 8th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Wouldn't go so far as to say that it crashed and burned after the first one, but I'd qualify them of "highly disappointing”. The first Highlander’s motion picture was pretty amazing, and therefore it created great expectations. Having so said, I’d say the last one was not complete crap.

michc
April 8th, 2008, 09:37 PM
The first movie is the only movie that exists for all intents and purposes. The others are crap.

-Asher-
April 11th, 2008, 12:13 PM
The first film was amazing did it crash and burn afterwards??

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Highlander II:The Quickening

Lambert wanted out of Highlander 2, but stayed because of his contract.
The company that put up the money edited the film, not the director and he walked out of the premiere 15 minutes into the show. There have been 3 "cuts" of the film none of which make much sense and all of which annoyed the fans of the first film. (If you want to know just what an abomination this film is, go to wikipedia and read the plot.)

The third movie adds magic and sorcerers. It tries to follow the rules of the first film, unlike the second. But still...lame.

I gave up after that. I did see part of the movie that ran on Sci-Fi recently and that was probably even worse than the Quickening...

The first film is great, the two series were ok, but the movies are awful.

Davis Ashura
April 12th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Yes, all the sequels SUCKED. The second one, Highlander: The Quickening, may be the worst movie of all time. Spoiler Alert: in that second one, the immortals turn out to be aliens from another planet who had plotted rebellion against some dictator named, wait for it, General Katana. They were banished to the Earth as punishment and made immortal.
Oh, the suckiness just starts from that stupidity and rapidly spirals downward. The movies since have been modestly better until this most recent one. I didn't think any movie could fall down to the level of the Quickening, but somehow they pulled it off.

FremenWarrior
April 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM
thanks for you're opinions and yes i also thought the others were crap.

sic's mom
April 16th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I believe I was in high school when the first movie came out (that tells you how old I am, damn) and I was completely blown away by it. Watched it a few times and loved it more every time. Saw the second and couldn't believe how bad it was. Never watched any others. Couldn't even watch the series. Now I have heard that the series was pretty good, but it didn't have Connor in it so well I wouldn't watch it. Anyone else out there like the series?

Davis Ashura
April 16th, 2008, 12:37 PM
The series was actually ok, and sometimes even fun or even good. The problem was that too many episodes were simply of the "kill an Immortal this week" variety. It was ridiculous because Immortals are supposed to be rare, but there was Duncan, lopping off heads hither and yon. I remember in one of the movies featuring Duncan and Connor (Highlander: Endgame, I believe), Duncan claims to have killed over 200 Immortals in his 4 centuries of living, while the main bad guy had killed over 800 in the same time. Doesn't seem all that special and unique to be Immortal anymore, no?
Duncan was a decent character, but after they tried to move past the "Kill an Immortal a Week" aspect and introduce new elements to the backstory, they eventually lost control of the series altogether. I did like Mythos, who was an Immortal born in the Stone Age.

Muess
April 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Yeah I'll give my thumbs up for the series too. I thought it was pretty well acted and the stories weren't bad.

mirage2101
May 22nd, 2008, 10:36 AM
first movie = win
series = good
though with some help of dutch tv schedules i totally lost the general story at some point.. Suddenly Duncan is evil because of a dark quickening and he has to stand in a fountain and meh... But since the episodes were out of order it isn't completely the series fault.

highlander 2 "the sickening"
aliens from zeist yes... i'll pretend not to hear that..
ramirez coming back to life.. ok he's back that's cool.. let's just pretend he wasn't dead.
some good action and humor "i've got hit oh... 150 times", "hey that one doesn't count", "what do you mean that doesn't count it went right through me!"
i've got some "renegade" version on dvd that's bearable.. it's a popcorn movie, don't think about zeist and aliens and you'll be fine. (it's a surprise though that aliens come from a smallish town in the netherlands, and i never knew we have deserts here)

highlander 3,
i actually liked this one the least.. sorcerer blah blah.. they needed a lame excuse for another movie, they made something up and it didn't work out.. watch 1 episode of the series and you'll have just as much fun.

highlander 4,
yay!!! series continuety!!
Good "movie" could've just been a two parter on high budget if the series had still been running but actually enjoyable to watch.. except the music ALMOST as good as the first one..

highlander 5.......
Am i even going to mention this?
this is the malformed lovebaby from highlander 2 and 3... and it only kept the bad parts.. near future, some crazy super warrior sm type guardian dude.. and going to the "source" whatever that's supposed to mean..
For all the excuses and explanations they could've made up for immortals, the prize and everything this was the absolute worst that could've come out.
i've read highlander / buffy fanfics that were better!!!
(actually immortals meant to fight vampires and demons and the prize was just a joke so immortals start using guns and kill vamps was pretty cool)