PDA

View Full Version : Seeing as the Iron Man movie is coming out soon.....

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Zsinj
April 16th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I was wondering about a memory I seem to have about the Iron Man cartoon that aired in the mid-90s, and that is, did Mandarin have green skin on the show, or am I confusing him with two other green skinned Asian-looking supervillains I was familiar with at the time, Ming the Merciless from the Flash Gordon cartoon and Dr. No from James Bond Jr.? Also I was wondering, why aren't they having Mandarin or MODOK in the new Iron Man movie, as from what I know those are two main villains, and are there any plans to include them in any future Iron Man movies if they make a series? Also, is it true that Nick Fury is going to be in Iron Man and he's going to be played by Samuel L. Jackson?

James Carmack
April 16th, 2008, 09:11 PM
If you hadn't asked, I would've never known about the Jacksonian redesign of Nick Fury. I was about to say that they'd have to shift the timeline so SGT Fury and his Howling Commandos are set in Vietnam. (Concidentally, or perhaps not, the new Fury is supposed to have cut his teeth in Nam.)

Anyway, both Wikipedia and the IMDb say that Jackson's in it as Fury, so I'd say you're going to be seeing him on the big screen. Let's celebrate over a Royale with Cheese. ^_^

mrwizard
April 20th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Yeah - I didn't know about Samuel L. Jackson either - he hasn't been in any of the promos has he? And speaking of promos, have you guys seen that "Become Tony Stark" contest (http://www.ironman.mtv.com/)that MTV is holding? It's a pretty sweet deal - no Iron Man suit or whatever - but I'll take the helicopter ride around LA....

Wulfa_Jones
April 21st, 2008, 08:14 AM
In the Ultimates imprint of Marvel, Nick Fury is "based" on Sam Jackson (with his knowledge and permission) and is a Gulf War vet.

As he was in the standard Marvel world, this Fury is the General of S.H.I.E.L.D

He is due to appear as a cameo in both Iron Man and Hulk as a way of building a connection between the films and the eventual Avengers movie.

I don't know which background they are going with in regards to the film character.

saintjon
May 3rd, 2008, 09:30 AM
I saw the movie last night but if Samuel L. Jackson was in there I completely missed him. They might have stuck him it in one those deals at the end of the credits (I hate when they do that). The movie was really good, I thought the fight at the end could have been better though. Jeff Bridges playing the anti-lebowski villain was excellent. Although I missed Sammy J I will say that this movie has the best Stan Lee cameo yet.

FvStar
May 7th, 2008, 01:16 AM
He was in it for about one minute after the credits rolled. You should always stay for the credits to finish rolling just to make sure there isn't anything else.
SPOILER!!!

Sam Jackson played Nick Fury of S.H.I.E.L.D and he asked Tony Stark to join the Avengers project. So we have an Avengers movie in the works. Hope it is done well like this movie was.

Bliss
May 7th, 2008, 06:31 AM
Yeah, my other half and I had a heads-up to stay til the end of the credits so we got to see Jackson as Fury. It looks like the following movies are going to be just as good.

Fantasyeatergal
May 8th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I never read the comics, but I defenitly liked the movie. Lets just hope that Tony Starks doesn't become some hyper-virtuous hero. All his human vices are what lead me to like the character in the first place.

I will say that this movie has the best Stan Lee cameo yet.

So true! :D

Luke_B
May 11th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Iron Man has restored my faith in the superhero film after the horrendous Spiderman 3. I loved Spiderman, and Spiderman 2 was even better, but the latest offering was one of the most atrocious examples of this film genre. With Iron Man, Marvel is back on track, which is good because I have lots of goodwill for their film company and would hate to see the rights to their characters revert to Paramount if this movie flops, because I have a feeling more love and care will be devoted by them, which could just be my natural optimism.

Of course, Iron Man contains some things that were so ridiculous they are offensive to the audienceís intelligence regardless of any willingness to suspend disbelief. For example, the Mark I suit was made of a metal soft enough to yield to a furnace, anvil and hammer but strong enough to resist heavy submachine gun fire. And how did Stark get Christine Everhart from Las Vegas back to Malibu so quickly at the beginning of the film? The Audi sponsorship was also pretty overt.

But, unlike Spiderman 3, and every other example of a terrible big budget movie, story and character in Iron Man did not take backseat to CGI. And, most impressively, Iron Man did not have the mindless, flag waving patriotism of even the earlier Spiderman films. Iron Man manages to mix a healthy dose of social consciousness and intelligence in with its popcorn entertainment. It is also throws in delicious lashings of humour. I love the first time Stark tries to test his flying capabilities and catapults himself into the wall.

All the actors are very good, except Downey Junior, who is brilliant. He really is the secret to the filmís success as he brings humour and pathos to Tony Stark. The film is strongest in the long build up at the beginning where character development is the focus. Once Obadiah starts showing his cards and the Iron Monger makes an appearance the film takes a turn into predictable territory. When you think about, there really are only two battles involving Mark III: the first one in Afghanistan, including a tussle with two F-22s which is all very rousing; and the battle with the Iron Monger which is very one-sided, with Iron Man being bashed around all over the place.

I stayed past the credits and Samuel L. Jacksonís cameo as Nick Fury is quite cringe inducing. I canít see how an Avengers movie would work, and despite the implication at the end of this I really doubt one will be made. I did enjoy all the S.H.I.E.L.D in-jokes during the rest of the film though.

Khallandra
May 29th, 2008, 08:28 AM
So true about Robert above, he made the movie. If he wasn't as brilliant as he was it would've flopped.

I was surprised that I enjoyed this movie, I was expecting Eric Bana Hulk and I got Singer X-Men/X-Men 2.