PDA

View Full Version : Preacher worth reading?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

ronso_rage
April 16th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I've started to get into comics. I've got what seems to be the comic book canon:

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
Watchmen
V For Vendetta

I'm planning on getting some more Batman trade paperbacks but I've also been looking at Preacher. It's had some good reccomendations.
Any opinions?

kater
April 16th, 2008, 07:13 PM
It depends entirely on whether you are a.) religious and or b.) easily offended :) Preacher is graphic and violent, it's adult entertainment that is typical Garth Ennis. I thoroughly enjoyed it but it is a BIG (ten trades) read and at times can be a little too much. So it depends how you like your humour and storytelling. Should you get Preacher and enjoy it may I suggest Transmetropolitan, quite possibly more enjoyable than all the titles you've listed put together :)

Rob B
April 16th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I loved the series, though it was a bit uneven towards the end. Still it remains very high on my favorites list. Kater has the right of it - it is violent, crass, profane, but it also has its tender moments.

U-Borat
April 17th, 2008, 10:29 AM
V For Vendetta is my personal favourite of all comics...bit corrupted by the watching of the movie albeit.

I also LOVE transmet, its brilliant.

Watchman IMO, is highly overrated, and not worth it. I'd give that one a pass, though everyone else seems to love it.

Preacher's also very good, but stales a bit in the middle/end.

The other one which IMO is must a read is Sandman.

Kazz Wylde
June 25th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Yeah, I've been tempted to get into these graphic novels myself. Are Transmet & Planetary the top 2 favorites around here. Just from a little searching I see they are well liked. Don't worry, I can handle it. I can see where Preacher would be rough on some, though.

mack2
July 22nd, 2008, 12:30 AM
I loved the series, though it was a bit uneven towards the end. Still it remains very high on my favorites list. Kater has the right of it - it is violent, crass, profane, but it also has its tender moments.
==============================
mack2

Crimsonfire
August 18th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Preacher is awesome. One of the best comic series put on paper. If your worried about profanity, violence and controversy then you shouldnt be reading comics :D Well none worth talking about anyway.

Luke_B
August 19th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Preacher is brilliant and worth reading not only for its narrative and characterization, but for its subversive handling of religious themes and offensive humor. The series uses a Wild West style to explore themes of masculinity, the legacy of the Vietnam War, and liberal and conservative politics in America. But donít read it expecting a superhero book.