PDA

View Full Version : Need help in remembering a title...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

MattCarse
April 17th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hi! I'm hoping someone here can help me remember the title of a classic sci-fi novel that I read over ten years ago (although the book is much older than that).

It has to do with a man who can "reverse" his senses so that he could, for instance, think of an image in his mind, convert that to light energy and project illusions through his eyes for others to be fooled by. He could also do the same with mimicking sounds - thinking of a particular sound and then making his ear drums produce it as sound energy projected from his body.

At first I thought of the Demolished Man by Alfred Bester, because of the synesthesia scene in which all his senses get mixed up - he feels color, or hears pain, etc. - but I don't think that's it.

I also ran through a bunch of authors I used to read like Bob Shaw, Robert Sheckely, etc. but none of them ring a bell as far as this scene is concerned.

I think it could have been in a novel in which an astronaut and a monkey of some kind are sent at the speed of light and both are evolved in some way. Can't recall the name of the book or the author to check into it, though.

Any ideas?

MattCarse
May 9th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Anyone? :o

Colonel Worf
May 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Check www.sffchronicles.co.uk Those guys can figure stuff out pretty quickly.