View Full Version : Wii Would Like To Play [Mario Kart]

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Esmenet
May 8th, 2008, 05:30 PM
The one thing that next generation systems have been lacking-a fun racing game. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's gotten sick of serious, stupid racing games. Need For Speed and other titles...they all suck compared to the classic Mario Kart. Since its first appearance in 1992 (I was only one at the time), Mario Kart has captured the hearts (many of them drunk) of hardcore and casual gamers around the world. None of my friends play video games. They're either too challenging, boring, a waste of time, or too "dorky". Not Mario Kart. Everybody knows Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser. Even if they haven't played any of the games they still recognize "It's a me, Mario: Hallo!" Mention Mario, an already likeable character and adding the fact that you can race with him and his friends, and (most importantly of course) it only takes two buttons, and you've got their immediate attention. [The only ironic thing about Mario is that most people assume he's the "simplistic" character of gaming, when Super Mario 64 was so hard to finish].
Now there's a new twist: the wheel. Mario Kart has always been the more favorable drinking game over Mario Party for one reason-Mario Party takes too much thinking. Not to mention that with Mario Kart you get all the thrills of driving drunk, minus the dangerous and illegal part. Wii has taken this concept to the next level. Not only do you get to crash into walls and hit your friends with bolts of lightening, you get to do it while moving the motion-controlled steering wheel. Yay for promoting drunk driving! Though the game is rated E (what Mario game isn't?!), its audience of late has become high school students with nothing better to do, and college students with plenty more to do (but acting like a 15 year old sounds better than studying for finals). IT looks like Nintendo will be filling the moneybags on the success of this one.
Wii is a shitty console because of two factors: horrible third party games, and the competition of Ps3 and XBox360. Wii is famous for putting out ridiculous amounts of shovel ware. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, it's basically this: Pirates of the Caribbean vs. Pirates of the Caribbean Three. Three was shovel ware-one was pure genius. For those technology/media challenged, you can think of it in these terms as well: Hollister vs. Meijer brand clothing. Games like Petz: Catz and Learning: Let's Make A Baby are absolutely ridiculous games that cost $4 to make, aimed only at getting casual gamers to buy a Wii and spend $60 on a game about feeding a hamster. What casual gamer wants to buy that kind of game?? That's what Guitar Hero is for. About the only people buying animal games are mothers that like to spoil their five-year-old children with expensive toys they don't know how to use or appreciate. What happened to Barbie and GI Joe? Kids these days have it "so rough". They get cell phones at age eight, and $400 dollar consoles at age four. Society is all about spoiling children. Notice for mothers out there: Buy your kids Mario Kart. At least you'll be contributing to a game recognized as playable. And get out and buy your kids a real pet. They don't need to feed it with a controller.
Bottom line-Mario Kart is going on my shelf next to all the others. It's totally worth it. By the way...Ps3 and XBox360 are recognized as real words on Microsoft Word...Wii on the other hand, is underlined in red. What does that tell you about popularity?

James Carmack
May 8th, 2008, 10:11 PM
You're going by Word's dictionary to determine popularity? Try console sales, high speed.

Also, how does competition from the PS3 and 360 make the Wii a bad console? All that means is that there's the PS3 and 360 competing with the Wii. If you want to talk about the shortcomings of the Wii, at least have the sense to use the actual weak points of the Wii itself. Come on. Roll out the ol' "Gamecube and a half" and other such spec-based arguments. Or, if you're really clever, go at a marketing, aesthetic or theoretical angle. Just keep your focus on the actual thing you're talking about. If anything, the competition from the PS3 and the 360 has helped the Wii immensely. It convinced Nintendo not to play Sony and Microsoft's game and so far they've been rewarded for doing so.

As for the crappy third-party titles, it happens. It's nothing new. The vast majority of titles put out for any console are crap. The reasons vary. Too little funding, too little time, not enough quality control or a simple lack of talent on the part of the developers. The thing I've noticed from most of the Wii's detractors, the one's whining about the games, is that they're not getting the emphasis on the sort of games they like (souped-up FPSs and such). Guess what? If the games you like aren't there, go somewhere else. Nintendo isn't the only game in town and that's a good thing. Honestly, it's like a vegetarian complaining about Burger King. Yes, they sell hamburgers. If you don't eat hamburgers, what are you doing outside the building whining about the lack of an adequate salad menu?

Andols
May 9th, 2008, 08:45 AM
The one thing that next generation systems have been lacking-a fun racing game. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's gotten sick of serious, stupid racing games. Need For Speed and other titles...they all suck compared to the classic Mario Kart. Since its first appearance in 1992 (I was only one at the time), Mario Kart has captured the hearts (many of them drunk) of hardcore and casual gamers around the world. None of my friends play video games. They're either too challenging, boring, a waste of time, or too "dorky". Not Mario Kart. Everybody knows Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser. Even if they haven't played any of the games they still recognize "It's a me, Mario: Hallo!" Mention Mario, an already likeable character and adding the fact that you can race with him and his friends, and (most importantly of course) it only takes two buttons, and you've got their immediate attention. [The only ironic thing about Mario is that most people assume he's the "simplistic" character of gaming, when Super Mario 64 was so hard to finish].
Now there's a new twist: the wheel. Mario Kart has always been the more favorable drinking game over Mario Party for one reason-Mario Party takes too much thinking. Not to mention that with Mario Kart you get all the thrills of driving drunk, minus the dangerous and illegal part. Wii has taken this concept to the next level. Not only do you get to crash into walls and hit your friends with bolts of lightening, you get to do it while moving the motion-controlled steering wheel. Yay for promoting drunk driving! Though the game is rated E (what Mario game isn't?!), its audience of late has become high school students with nothing better to do, and college students with plenty more to do (but acting like a 15 year old sounds better than studying for finals). IT looks like Nintendo will be filling the moneybags on the success of this one.
Wii is a shitty console because of two factors: horrible third party games, and the competition of Ps3 and XBox360. Wii is famous for putting out ridiculous amounts of shovel ware. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, it's basically this: Pirates of the Caribbean vs. Pirates of the Caribbean Three. Three was shovel ware-one was pure genius. For those technology/media challenged, you can think of it in these terms as well: Hollister vs. Meijer brand clothing. Games like Petz: Catz and Learning: Let's Make A Baby are absolutely ridiculous games that cost $4 to make, aimed only at getting casual gamers to buy a Wii and spend $60 on a game about feeding a hamster. What casual gamer wants to buy that kind of game?? That's what Guitar Hero is for. About the only people buying animal games are mothers that like to spoil their five-year-old children with expensive toys they don't know how to use or appreciate. What happened to Barbie and GI Joe? Kids these days have it "so rough". They get cell phones at age eight, and $400 dollar consoles at age four. Society is all about spoiling children. Notice for mothers out there: Buy your kids Mario Kart. At least you'll be contributing to a game recognized as playable. And get out and buy your kids a real pet. They don't need to feed it with a controller.
Bottom line-Mario Kart is going on my shelf next to all the others. It's totally worth it. By the way...Ps3 and XBox360 are recognized as real words on Microsoft Word...Wii on the other hand, is underlined in red. What does that tell you about popularity?

Fun is one of the most subjective terms imaginable.

There were so many things I wanted to comment on in your post, then I realized you were born in 1991. I thing most people past their teens will agree they had some fairly foolish opinions during those years.

I'll indulge myself anyway.

Depending on your definition of "fun", there are plenty of other racing games on par with Mario Kart in all it's manifestations (of which I have purchased in their entirety on their release date). Several early NFS titles were great, easy fun. Even other Nintendo titles such as F zero, Diddy Kong Racing, etc.

The fact that you consider Mario Kart primarily a drinking game is hilarious to me.

How in the **** are they promoting drunk driving? You do realize there are other demographics of Mario Kart players right? Just because you read on a few forums and Digg that drunk college kids love the game doesn't mean they are the only ones playing it. Far from it.

"its audience of late has become high school students with nothing better to do, and college students with plenty more to do "

What are you talking about? "As of late"? IT"S BEEN OUT TWO WEEKS! What demographic was playing it the first week?

By your definition of a console PS3 and 360 are also shitty. They have far more "shovel ware" than the Wii does. Plain and simple.

Those children's games are meant for children. Not "casual gamers". About the only people who buy ANY game are people who are interested in the game. The sooner you learn you can't judge everyone's taste in enjoyment based on your own criteria the better off you will be.

Also the final comment is just the icing on the cake. PS3 and xbox260 are not recognized as words. They are ignored because of their alphanumeric combination. "wii" is all letters so the correction engine recognizes it as a word and tries to verify.

kater
May 9th, 2008, 06:37 PM

Indulge yourself without the need to make snarky comments about a person's age etc please.

And let's not go down the route of so many computer games forums by aggressive posting and flaming. It's a provocative original post no doubt but let's stick to the subject and not the person providing the subject.

Esmenet
May 11th, 2008, 11:51 AM
You're going by Word's dictionary to determine popularity? Try console sales, high speed.

Also, how does competition from the PS3 and 360 make the Wii a bad console? All that means is that there's the PS3 and 360 competing with the Wii. If you want to talk about the shortcomings of the Wii, at least have the sense to use the actual weak points of the Wii itself. Come on. Roll out the ol' "Gamecube and a half" and other such spec-based arguments. Or, if you're really clever, go at a marketing, aesthetic or theoretical angle. Just keep your focus on the actual thing you're talking about. If anything, the competition from the PS3 and the 360 has helped the Wii immensely. It convinced Nintendo not to play Sony and Microsoft's game and so far they've been rewarded for doing so.

As for the crappy third-party titles, it happens. It's nothing new. The vast majority of titles put out for any console are crap. The reasons vary. Too little funding, too little time, not enough quality control or a simple lack of talent on the part of the developers. The thing I've noticed from most of the Wii's detractors, the one's whining about the games, is that they're not getting the emphasis on the sort of games they like (souped-up FPSs and such). Guess what? If the games you like aren't there, go somewhere else. Nintendo isn't the only game in town and that's a good thing. Honestly, it's like a vegetarian complaining about Burger King. Yes, they sell hamburgers. If you don't eat hamburgers, what are you doing outside the building whining about the lack of an adequate salad menu?

Ok maybe I was being too cynical when I wrote this. I don't really think the Wii is a "shitty" console as a whole..I just think that Ds and Wii put out too much shovel ware. Smash bros. brawl, mario kart, super mario galaxy, and twilight princess are on my shelf and I play them often. I really wasn't trying to bash the Wii in that sense at all. I just hate seeing little kids convince their parents to buy them this expensive console and then play with pets. I mean Animal Crossing has it's place in the gaming world imo, but Petz doesn't. And I'm not trying to be like a vegitarian to go along with your analogy. I stayed up till 12 to get my Wii like every other gamer out there and I play the games that are good to me. Plus I really don't care if people don't necessarily agree with me I was just putting it out there to see what responses I would get. I agree with you on all points and maybe I just didn't make it clear that I wasn't bashing Wii for everything..just for Nintendo's horrible third party ****.

Esmenet
May 11th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Fun is one of the most subjective terms imaginable.

There were so many things I wanted to comment on in your post, then I realized you were born in 1991. I thing most people past their teens will agree they had some fairly foolish opinions during those years.

Depending on your definition of "fun", there are plenty of other racing games on par with Mario Kart in all it's manifestations (of which I have purchased in their entirety on their release date). Several early NFS titles were great, easy fun. Even other Nintendo titles such as F zero, Diddy Kong Racing, etc.

The fact that you consider Mario Kart primarily a drinking game is hilarious to me.

How in the **** are they promoting drunk driving? You do realize there are other demographics of Mario Kart players right? Just because you read on a few forums and Digg that drunk college kids love the game doesn't mean they are the only ones playing it. Far from it.

"its audience of late has become high school students with nothing better to do, and college students with plenty more to do "

What are you talking about? "As of late"? IT"S BEEN OUT TWO WEEKS! What demographic was playing it the first week?

By your definition of a console PS3 and 360 are also shitty. They have far more "shovel ware" than the Wii does. Plain and simple.

Those children's games are meant for children. Not "casual gamers". About the only people who buy ANY game are people who are interested in the game. The sooner you learn you can't judge everyone's taste in enjoyment based on your own criteria the better off you will be.

Also the final comment is just the icing on the cake. PS3 and xbox260 are not recognized as words. They are ignored because of their alphanumeric combination. "wii" is all letters so the correction engine recognizes it as a word and tries to verify.

Ok first of all. I really don't think my age has anything to do with what I said. I'm not new to the gaming world in any sense. My brother is 35 and has been providing me with games and information on them since I was old enough to hold a controller. He went into video game design and I am going to follow in his footsteps. So that has nothing to do with my opinion.

Plus..being in high school I am very used to hearing this from my fellow classmates:
"I hate video games. The only think I'll play is Mario Kart. It's such a fun drinking game"
I don't drink. I have no interest in it, and I think it's funny when people brag about how "f***ing wasted" they were over the weekend. You don't go to my highschool, therefore you don't know what I'm talking about. My boyfriend is 21, and he is finishing up college right now. The people at his college are the same way. So my opinion comes from watching and listening to people around me. I know that not everyone who plays Mario Kart is drunk...and when I said "its audience of late" I was referring to older Mario Karts, not the recent one. And I was being completely sarcastic when I said "Yay for promoting drunk driving" You're reading too literally into what I'm saying. And I don't read anything on Digg, nor do I read on any other forums except cheapassgamer and other things. And they don't talk about drunk kids playing it.

As far as other racing games up to par with Mario Kart, I agree with you. I own F-Zero and Diddy Kong Racing. But, I don't like any other racing game i.e.: Need For Speed, Gran Turismo, Burnout Paradise and things of that nature. That's just my opinion. I don't like those types of games. And like I said..I'm sure I'm not the only one. I didn't mean that everyone hates all racing games except MK.

"The sooner you learn you can't judge everyone's taste in enjoyment based on your own criteria the better off you will be. " This is not what I'm doing at all. I'm not judging anyone else's enjoyment but my own and the people I am around. I did not state "Everyone in the world drinks while they play Mario Kart, hates all other racing games, and thinks Wii is a shitty console for putting out shovel ware" It is simply this: MY OPINION.

And I'm not going to argue with you because I agree with some of what you have said and I recognize it as your opinion as well.

James Carmack
May 11th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Further qualifying your statements makes it all a lot less trollish, Es. You're entirely justified in your disgust with shovelware. I mean, who really likes the loads of crap that get dumped on us by every Tom, Dick and Harry trying to cash in on the lucrative VG biz? While this is disturbing, at least we're not seeing the saturation that precipitated the Crash of '83. Happily, there are still plenty of quality titles to be found on your console of choice.

Maybe my age is creeping into things because I don't have the time to play like I used to. Three or four games a year is more than enough for me. The fact that I have a sizable backlog I'm meaning to play pretty much leaves me content with what I've got. The fact that I favor RPGs and other such time-intensive games gives most of the titles I own a lot more staying power than, say, your average shooter whose single player campaign can be buzzed through in a few hours. So it goes, eh?

Andols
May 12th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Indulge yourself without the need to make snarky comments about a person's age etc please.

And let's not go down the route of so many computer games forums by aggressive posting and flaming. It's a provocative original post no doubt but let's stick to the subject and not the person providing the subject.

I apologize for my aggressive posting. I had a rough morning and took it out unjustly.

Andols
May 12th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Ok first of all. I really don't think my age has anything to do with what I said. I'm not new to the gaming world in any sense. My brother is 35 and has been providing me with games and information on them since I was old enough to hold a controller. He went into video game design and I am going to follow in his footsteps. So that has nothing to do with my opinion.

I just didn't understand the statement "as of late".

I think both of us made unclear posts and I sure as hell let emotions interfere with what I was trying to say so I apologize.

Andols
May 12th, 2008, 08:40 AM
The fact that I favor RPGs and other such time-intensive games gives most of the titles I own a lot more staying power than, say, your average shooter whose single player campaign can be buzzed through in a few hours. So it goes, eh?

Maybe you just haven't found the right shooters:)

I still replay Half life, Deus Ex and a handful of other shooters. The Jedi Knight series while not exactly a shooter, has some great installments also.