View Full Version : Locke and Key

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Luke_B
May 11th, 2008, 10:43 PM
I caught up with the first three issues of Locke and Key last night. Is anybody else reading this? If not, you should because it is really, really good. This is the information from IDW’s website:

Acclaimed suspense novelist and New York Times best-selling author Joe Hill (Heart-Shaped Box) creates an all-new story of dark fantasy and wonder: Locke & Key. Written by Hill and featuring astounding artwork from Gabriel Rodriguez (Clive Barker's The Great and Secret Show, Beowulf), Locke & Key tells of Keyhouse, an unlikely New England mansion, with fantastic doors that transform all who dare to walk through them.... and home to a hate-filled and relentless creature that will not rest until it forces open the most terrible door of them all...

The Locke family move into the Keyhouse following the violent murder of their patriarch and must cope with the aftermath of this event while battling with ghosts from the past, both literal and figurative.

Hill writes for comics really well, with quick scene cuts and flashbacks all used expertly to tell the story. Anybody that’s read his novel will know that he has a knack for dreaming up creepy ideas and creating brooding atmospheres. The artwork is really nice and suits the gothic tale well. It’s not hard to see why Dimension Films has already optioned the rights for the story.

Rob B
May 11th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I picked up the first two issues then placed it on my hold list. The story is cool and the art is appropriately creepy. This Joe Hill kid can spin a tale in multiple media.

Luke_B
May 12th, 2008, 06:44 AM
Hey Rob, you should run out and a get the third issue because the series really takes off here. The focus of the story is on Kinsey this time. There's a great scene that epitomises this series so far in which Bode tries to convince Kinsey that he can turn into a ghost. It's just a great mix of humour and horror.

kater
May 12th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Have also read the first three issues and it's quite enjoyable, would like to see a quicker rate of progression now though, I think the stage has been set well enough to warrant speeding up the pace. My pull list is too big to be carrying anything for too long :)

Rob B
May 12th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Hey Rob, you should run out and a get the third issue because the series really takes off here. It's waiting for me at the comic shop, I just have to go down there and get it. My local shop has a good monthly reserve policy.

Luke_B
May 13th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Have also read the first three issues and it's quite enjoyable, would like to see a quicker rate of progression now though, I think the stage has been set well enough to warrant speeding up the pace. My pull list is too big to be carrying anything for too long :)

I get the feeling things will take off soon, but I've been happy with the pace so far. It's not much of spoiler (because it happens in the first few frames) but an In Cold Blood style murder in the first scene really gets things off to a nail biting start in my opinion.

Luke_B
May 23rd, 2008, 07:33 PM
Issue 4 is out. Must acquire...

Eventine
January 13th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I read the collection of the first six issues last night: Welcome to Lovecraft. This is really, really good stuff. Despite wanting to save some for later, I couldn't put it down and read it in one sitting.
The combination of the imaginative setting and concept (Keyhouse), the creepy tone and very good supporting art all fit together very well. I'm greatly looking forward to catching up with the story.
Thanks for the heads up Luke, I bought this based on your recommendation. I may have to pick up 20th Century Ghosts now, while I thought the early parts of Heart Shaped Box were good, Locke and Key blew me away.

Strongly recommended.

kater
January 14th, 2009, 07:25 AM
Coincedentally the first issue of the next arc is out this week, called Locke and Key: Head Games (http://www.forbidden-planet.co.uk/acatalog/Locke_And_Key__Head_Games__1.html)

Wulfa_Jones
January 14th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Holding out for the trade/collected editions on this title. I think the first arc is due out shortly or has already been released in hardback.