PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Thinkof the Ghost In The Shell Saga?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

FremenWarrior
May 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Hi Have recently seen All of the ghst in the shell stories; Ghostin the shell , Ghost In The Shell: innocence, Ghost In The Shell Solid State Society and Stand Alone Complex 1st Gig.they are all excelent and i particularly enjoyed the laughing man stories which proved a nice counterpoint to the puppet master and S.S.S.'s puppeteer.

just want to know what you think of ,possibly, the greatest manga of all time...

Miriamele
May 15th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I tried watching through the Stand Alone Complex recently, but I only got about 10 episodes in and stopped. It's really interesting, really well done, and the animation is top-notch...however although I found the series intellectually stimulating I also found it depressing and sometimes too weird. I decided not to watch any more.

As for the movies, the first one I did enjoy but the second one I thought dragged on way too long.

Monty Mike
May 16th, 2008, 02:51 PM
I've only seen the two Ghost In The Shell films. The first one was better imo. I've been meaning to watch some of the series stuff though. This thread has reminded me. Perhaps I'll go out and buy a boxset this weekend. Not that I don't already have enough lined up to watch. :D

FremenWarrior
May 18th, 2008, 11:06 AM
great replies so far. recently spoke to some one who said they found Ghost in the Shell to be along the lines of Blade Runner. Any opinions?

Monty Mike
May 19th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I went out and bought 1st and 2nd Gig boxset and damn it's entertaining. Up to Ep. 10 or so (the episode that starts with a bunch of people in some virtual chatroom discussing 'Laughing Man'). Will watch more when I get in tonight. Also got the new Ghost in the Shell movie called Solid State Society. Have you watched that yet, FremenWarrior? I believe it's the most recent one. I wonder if there are plans for a 3rd Gig?

great replies so far. recently spoke to some one who said they found Ghost in the Shell to be along the lines of Blade Runner. Any opinions?

Well when I was reading through the little booklet you get with the 1st Gig boxset, I realised how similar the whole thing is to a lot of Philip K. Dick's work. Especially the likes of Do Androids Dream (Bladerunner). It also made me curious to read The Catcher in the Rye, a quote from which is used on the laughing man image.

Btw, who's your favourite character? Mine, at least so far, would have to be Togusa. He's class. :D

EDIT: Just re-read your opening post and noticed that you've seen Solid State Society. In that case, maybe we can talk about it after I've watched it. ;)

Nightblade
May 22nd, 2008, 08:56 AM
Yeah, love it, however the Tachikomas are not my favourite, at least with the dubbed voices. :S Kusanagi gets on my nerves sometimes, she almost seems to be good at everything.

2nd gig was my favourite by far. Gouda was such a brilliant antagonist, I thought he would have escaped capture. The whole arc with Kuze was pretty interesting as well.

Monty Mike
May 23rd, 2008, 05:32 AM
Yeah, love it, however the Tachikomas are not my favourite, at least with the dubbed voices.

Yes, they look cool but they're the most irritating things when they start talking. When they think the Major is planning to scrap them they start talking more like robots to see her reaction. I wish the little bastards would just talk like that all the time.

They're great in combat, though. :D

FremenWarrior
May 23rd, 2008, 09:18 AM
I went out and bought 1st and 2nd Gig boxset and damn it's entertaining. Up to Ep. 10 or so (the episode that starts with a bunch of people in some virtual chatroom discussing 'Laughing Man'). Will watch more when I get in tonight. Also got the new Ghost in the Shell movie called Solid State Society. Have you watched that yet, FremenWarrior? I believe it's the most recent one. I wonder if there are plans for a 3rd Gig?

yes saw it a few weeks ago. i liked it but it doesn't follow the original film or innocence it is part of stand alone complex. i thoroughly enjoyed it and liked the new concepts it put forward that distance it from the original film. it has developed well from the original film and hope that they do keep making S.A.C.

Well when I was reading through the little booklet you get with the 1st Gig boxset, I realised how similar the whole thing is to a lot of Philip K. Dick's work. Especially the likes of Do Androids Dream (Bladerunner). It also made me curious to read The Catcher in the Rye, a quote from which is used on the laughing man image.

personally i thought the concept of the laughing man was better than the puppetmaster because he was a more 3D and more human.

Btw, who's your favourite character? Mine, at least so far, would have to be Togusa. He's class. :D

without a doubt the major is best in my opinion because she is secretive, clever and powerful. although i can see where you are coming from because togusa is good as well.

EDIT: Just re-read your opening post and noticed that you've seen Solid State Society. In that case, maybe we can talk about it after I've watched it. ;)

Great thanks!

Krian
May 25th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I've Watched all of the Ghost in the shell movies and series. Personally i preferred 2nd gig in the series and the first movie i thought was the best movie. As for it relating to blade runner, it is true that they share a lot of similarities. The main similarity i find without going back and watching through them, is the main character of blade runner is hunting down rogue clones and the major and her team are hunting down a rogue android. (at least in the first movie.)

Wulfa_Jones
May 28th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I've seen the first two films. Loved the first one and although it took me a couple of viewings, I came to like the second one more that the original. Not seen Solid State Society.

I got the both of the TV serials on DVD, but it was from a rather dodgy source and the subtitles weren't very good so I've not been able to watch them.

Now that the price has come down for the series, I'm planning on buying the two box sets.