PDA

View Full Version : story with rain, invasion of whales, and ishmael - name???

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Turgut Alp
May 24th, 2008, 07:47 PM
i folks,

I've read a sci-fi adaptation short story related to a guy who was obsessed of whales taking over the world, while everybody was thinking him to be paranoid, especially his psychiatrist. There was a certain Ishmael (just like in Melville's "Moby Dick"), I think there were also persons called Ahab and Melville. There was rain in the story, and some sort of dematerializing and re-materializing, fights with the police, and at the end our hero gets the help of his psychiatrist in blowing up the local whale reservoir in san fransisco (I think) "fishhouse" where they kept the whales for show.. or something like that..

it's NOT the Nebula Award winner novelle "Another Orphan" by John Kessel or Philip Jose Farmer -- *The Wind Whales of Ishmael*...

Anybody remember the author and the name of the story?? I really got crazy trying to remember it...:confused:

Regards

psikeyhackr
May 25th, 2008, 05:58 PM
UH? Star Trek IV?

:D

Jeroen
May 26th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Sounds like Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. (fun movie though, one of Star Trek's best.) Maybe it is star trek fan fiction.

Yobmod
May 27th, 2008, 05:03 AM
In what way is it like Star Trek? Just cos it has whales?!

Blowing up a whale sanctuary does sound like something the federation would do... :D.

omermaras
May 27th, 2008, 11:56 AM
no no.. it was separate from the star trek series...
it might have been a hugo or nebula award short story..
there was some teleportations, though.. the protagonist disintegrated and "reintegrated" (out of his own control, though), and from time to time called for "ishmael" to help (whatever that was.. - not human, i think)

psikeyhackr
May 28th, 2008, 10:41 AM
In what way is it like Star Trek? Just cos it has whales?!

It had San Francisco and rain and things de-materializing and re-materializing.

Captain there be re-materialized whales here. :D

psik