View Full Version : Books about bars

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Nicolas
May 30th, 2008, 03:30 AM
I only know on top of my head about two book with bars, pubs, taverns as the setting. One is Draco Tavern by Larry Niven, the other one Cosmic Cocktails, a short stories collection.

I need a refill. Do any of you know of sf book taking place in bars, or having bartenders as main characters ?

i'll be at the bar if you need me. Thanks.

B5B7
May 30th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Spider Robinson has a number of books featuring 'Callahan's Crosstime Saloon'; there is the old 'Gavagan's Bar' of L. Sprague de Camp and Fletcher Pratt, and A.C. Clarke's 'Tales from the White Hart'. There are others that I can't quite think of at the moment.

Ropie
May 30th, 2008, 05:38 AM
Lots of Neuromancer is set in a seedy bar.

ArthurFrayn
May 30th, 2008, 11:24 AM
A lot of bar action in Keith Laumer's Knight of Delusions. Pretty much a hard boiled setup, so you should find that of interest:

http://www.amazon.com/Knight-Delusions-Keith-Laumer/dp/0812543629/ref=sr_oe_2_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212159155&sr=1-2

Nicolas
May 31st, 2008, 08:42 AM
Thanks guys, those are some good suggestions.

Keep them coming, line them up....

Ouroboros
May 31st, 2008, 09:38 AM
Well, Tim Powers' 'The drawing of the dark' is an outstanding historical fantasy novel which is set mostly in and around a brewhouse. An Irish soldier of fortune brought in as a bouncer for the establishment finds himself caught up in an ancient war of west versus east and good versus evil. It's a Gollancz Fantasy masterwork, though, so not SF as such.

DailyAlice
May 31st, 2008, 11:32 AM
Well, if we're going the fantasy route there's Patrick Rothfuss's The Name of the Wind. And I'm remembering a short story by John Crowley: "Novelty," in his collection of the same name. It's about a writer talking to a woman in a bar (the Seventh Saint). I'm not sure it could be called fantasy; he's a hard writer to pin down.

Pellinore
May 31st, 2008, 01:15 PM
This reminds me of the Zelazny story, Unicorn Variations, which if I remember correctly was written on a bet that he could write a story about a Unicorn, chess, and a bar. It was something of the sort anyways. Not a bad story I might add.

Ropie
May 31st, 2008, 08:30 PM
There is also a Robert Silverberg story, about a man who has lived for a few thousand years who meets the girl of his dreams and of a similar age, set almost exclusively in a bar. Arthur Frayn will probably be able to tell us the title as I can't remember it ;)

Kabada
June 2nd, 2008, 12:14 PM
Steven Brust's "Cowboy Feng's Bar and Grille".
80% of the action happens in that bar.