View Full Version : Title/Author needed for book read long ago

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

kps1ny
June 13th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Hi...

Back in the late '70s or early '80s (as a teenager) I read a hardcover book (from a public library) that I'd dearly like to find again, but alas, I can recall too few details to find it with search engines. So I turn to this forum for help.

Details:

-Set in the asteroid belt
-Probably "young adult"
-Believe that the hero was called a "spacer"
-Believe that there was an ongoing war between spacers and another group, possibly pirates, in the asteroid belt

(This is not "Spacer and Rat")

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Ken

Pellinore
June 13th, 2008, 10:44 PM
This doesn't seem to quite fit the plot description, but Isaac Asimov's Elijah Baley books- Caves of Steel, and The Naked Sun, feature a society known as Spacers. The humans of earth have delved deep into the earth and formed underground cities. The early colonists spread out to other planets. The people of earth have become agoraphobic and come to despise the colonists, which they call spacers. Elijah Baley, the main character, is from earth, however R. Daneel Olivaw, his "sidekick," is a humanoid Spacer robot. The books take place on Spacer worlds and are SF mysteries of sorts.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but it seemed worth mentioning. I hope it helps.

Hobbit
June 14th, 2008, 03:43 AM
Sounds like The Outcasts of Heaven's Belt (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/v/joan-d-vinge/outcasts-of-heavens-belt.htm)by Joan Vinge to me, Ken.

Later edit: The post by Pellinore about Asimov made me think of Asimov's Lucky Starr series, a Young Adult series originally published under the name of Paul French.

How about Lucky Starr and the Pirates of the Asteroids? (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/a/isaac-asimov/lucky-starr-and-pirates-of-asteroids.htm)

Mark / Hobbit

kps1ny
July 2nd, 2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the replies!

It turns out that it was Raiders From the Rings, by Alan Nourse, suggested by someone on AbeBooks' BookSleuth forum.

-Ken

Hobbit
July 2nd, 2008, 04:47 PM
Pleased you got it sorted Ken; and sorry that my suggestions were so wrong. :) You don't hear much about Alan Nourse these days, other than he's referenced by Ridley Scott for the first use of the word/s Bladerunner...

Mark / Hobbit