PDA

View Full Version : Unable To Find Author Or Book!! Help!!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Agent66
June 14th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Hi,
I Desperatley Need Help. I Went On Honeymoon In Egytp Back In 2001 And Started To Read A Sci Fi Book. I Was Hooked Fom The Opening Chapter And Was Unable To Put It Down For The Week I Was There. The Only Prob Is I Cant Remember The Title Or The Auther!!!
If I Describe The Opening Is There Any One Who Might Help.

'the Story Begins On A Planet Where The Colonists/scientist Are Leaving In A Hurry. The Ai That They Have Created Is Child Like And Does Not Know Why They Are Leaving. The Ship They Are Leaving In Has Disabled All Comm Ports But The Ai Finds A Port And Brings Down The Ship. In Another Part Of The Galaxy There Is A Child And A Man Who Crash Land On A Planet And Are Captured. The Child Could Possibly Be The Savior Of The Human Race But Is Imprisoned. Meanwhile The Known Galaxy Is Being Consummed From The Outer Edge/rim And Nobody Knows Why'

That About Covers The First Few Chapters. Any Help Would Be Appreciated. Sorry About The Caps!!!

Thganks

Lowlander
June 14th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Could this be A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge ?

If so you're in for a great reading experience since it's one of the classics of more recent SF literature.

Agent66
June 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the quick post. Have tracked down a copy on ebay and bought without hesitation. Hope its the one. Will be able to tell after the first couple of paragraphs. If it isnt, then i should be in for a good read according to the reviews and your post. How much SciFi do you read?

Cheers

D_A
June 15th, 2008, 06:00 AM
Hi,
I Desperatley Need Help. I Went On Honeymoon In Egytp Back In 2001 And Started To Read A Sci Fi Book. I Was Hooked Fom The Opening Chapter And Was Unable To Put It Down For The Week I Was There. The Only Prob Is I Cant Remember The Title Or The Auther!!!

'the Story Begins On A Planet Where The Colonists/scientist Are Leaving In A Hurry. The Ai That They Have Created Is Child Like And Does Not Know Why They Are Leaving. The Ship They Are Leaving In Has Disabled All Comm Ports But The Ai Finds A Port And Brings Down The Ship. In Another Part Of The Galaxy There Is A Child And A Man Who Crash Land On A Planet And Are Captured. The Child Could Possibly Be The Savior Of The Human Race But Is Imprisoned. Meanwhile The Known Galaxy Is Being Consummed From The Outer Edge/rim And Nobody Knows Why'

That About Covers The First Few Chapters. Any Help Would Be Appreciated. Sorry About The Caps!!!

Thganks

I just wanted to say, that I think it's a talent that you managed to type every word starting with a capital! :)

I hope you manage to find your book, however..

Ropie
June 15th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Yep, it sounds a lot like Fire Upon the Deep.

JunkMonkey
June 19th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Hi,

Thganks

You missed a couple.

You were on Honeymoon in Egypt and unable to put down a book for the whole week! Are you still married to this person?