PDA

View Full Version : Can't remember YA Novel..

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

sèvres_babylone
June 20th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, and I look forward to being more productive and contributing to threads instead of asking questions in the future, so bear with me!

My memories of this book are probably REALLY vague, but since there's a new sub-forum for this type of thing I thought I'd give it a go and ask.

When I was in elementary school (primary school in the UK, I think?) in the late 90s-2000, I checked out a book from the library. The books were pretty old, so this probably pre-dated the year I checked it out.

The novel was about a group of people who had colonized, or were working at colonizing, another planet. They grew vegetables and fruits and whatnot in these see through glass pods, and I believe they also lived in glass pods too. A lot of the book was describing how they survived without oxygen and how they fed themselves; the main character was a girl and her father was one of the scientists working on the project. I believe she also had a brother. I can't remember much after that, and it's such a common subject for scifi novels that I'm sure it will be difficult to pinpoint a specific book. I'm pretty sure eventually they met the original inhabitants, or befriended some other species. It's one of my first memories of reading a book, and it left a pretty big impression on me --although obviously not THAT big, or I'd remember!-- so it would be nice to revisit it.

Thanks in advance if anyone can remember. Anything that kind of resembles it and is for younger audiences (I definitely know it was YA) would be appreciated, as I could look those titles up myself and see if I recognized anything else. :)

MMerle
September 21st, 2008, 08:24 PM
The only thing I can think of is Another Heaven, Another Earth by H M Hoover... I don't actually remember the story very well, but it is definitely along the lines of what you described.

TheJacobTaylor
November 24th, 2008, 03:04 PM
This description reminded me of a book I had just read. It has several of the same elements. This one was published very recently, so I doubt that it is the book you are looking for. That being said, you might enjoy it.

Marsbound by Joe Haldeman
(http://www.amazon.com/dp/0441015956/?tag=readernaut-20)

Jacob