PDA

View Full Version : Prince Caspian

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Dutch
June 24th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Anyone seen this yet ?, I saw it today and thought it was awesome. I've never read any of the Narnia books so I can't say if its 100% faithful to C.S. Lewis novel.

Its much darker than the first movie, and more violent to, I was really suprised how violent it was for a disney movie, its probably even more violent than any of the lord of the rings movies. Some of the sword fights between Peter and Miraz are pretty full on.

I thought it was much superior to the dissapointing Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, Indy is cleaning up at the box office, though Prince Caspian is the much better film. I just hope people actually go and see it.

I'm kind of suprised there isn't a thread for this movie considering its a big budget fantasy movie and this is a Fantasy forum. If theres already a thread for this movie, than I apologise.

LionessAzhure
June 25th, 2008, 07:13 AM
i really liked Prince Caspian as well. I thought it was up to the standards of the first movie and very fun to watch.

Definitely more violent/darker than Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, which in someways i did enjoy, the fighting scenes were good, including Susan's work with the bow, and i guess opened up the audience for the teens.

Unfortunately the extra violence wasn't that great for the littlies that were introduced to narnia in the first movie and then spent most of Prince Caspian hiding (you can't tell them 'no you can't come to the narnia sequel'- they just don't take it well, even if it is M rated).

As for sticking to the books, i haven't read them in ages, but im pretty sure the love fling between susan and caspian wasn't in the book (but which you could see from a mile off in the movie)...

anyway, im eagerly anticipating the next movie, which i believe is The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, although that will be a couple of years away yet:)

Smurf
June 25th, 2008, 10:29 AM
* Spoilers *

I didn't not like it but I thought It was lacking. Admittedly I haven't read the book (shame I know) but the story seemed a bit week, also when the Pensive (spelling) children got there they go gung ho all out lets help Caspian with little to no idea about whats going on.

Also some more stuff about who the Tel mariens (spelling agian) got there would of been good.

And sorry that big water thing at the end for no reason got on my nerves as well.

Is all of this explained in the book? ? ?

Oh and the bit with the Ice Queen similarly wasn't really explained. Oh and the weak "love" story, or should I just say they had the hots for each other

Miriamele
June 25th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Definitely more violent/darker than Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, which in someways i did enjoy, the fighting scenes were good, including Susan's work with the bow, and i guess opened up the audience for the teens.

Unfortunately the extra violence wasn't that great for the littlies that were introduced to narnia in the first movie and then spent most of Prince Caspian hiding (you can't tell them 'no you can't come to the narnia sequel'- they just don't take it well, even if it is M rated).

How violent was it really? More so than LOTR? My 9 year old daughter is looking forward to seeing Prince Caspian--I wonder if it's okay for that age group?

Evil Agent
June 25th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I saw it, and liked it. It's my favourite book of the series, or perhaps tied with The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. I'd say the movie is about equal with the first one.

My main complaint, however, is the same complaint I had about the first movie. The books are short, and quite childish... so with both movies, they have seriously amped up the level of violence. Much more so in this one. They added a completely new battle scene that was not in the book (i.e. raiding of Miraz's castle), and there is a LOT of dying! Animals dying, humans dying, etc. And the four children from Pevensie show no hesitation in killing both animals and humans. It's pretty harsh, especially for little kids. I would think twice about taking any kid under 11 or 12 to see this, depending on what your kid can handle. You may want to have a brief talk about movie violence, and about why the producers may have increased the violence in the movie (i.e. to make it more "exciting" for crowds?).

Caspian's accent is a little annoying, and the director later said that maybe he should not have given the Telmarines Spanish accents. But Trumpkin, Trufflehunter, and Reepicheep are really cool, which is what I was hoping for.

Miriamele
June 25th, 2008, 02:45 PM
My main complaint, however, is the same complaint I had about the first movie. The books are short, and quite childish... so with both movies, they have seriously amped up the level of violence. Much more so in this one. They added a completely new battle scene that was not in the book (i.e. raiding of Miraz's castle), and there is a LOT of dying! Animals dying, humans dying, etc. And the four children from Pevensie show no hesitation in killing both animals and humans. It's pretty harsh, especially for little kids. I would think twice about taking any kid under 11 or 12 to see this, depending on what your kid can handle. You may want to have a brief talk about movie violence, and about why the producers may have increased the violence in the movie (i.e. to make it more "exciting" for crowds?).

Man, that sucks...why can't they ever make a decent movie for kids these days that's actually appropriate for kids? :(

If I let my daughter see it, we will have a talk beforehand about how it might be scarier than the book. If there is "a lot of dying" though, it will probably upset her, as she tends to really take things like that to heart. Hmmm. Will have to think about this.

cottonbutterfly
July 1st, 2008, 03:11 PM
I loved it. I've seen it 2x; its even better the second time around.

I like some changes they made to plot, most of them explain a little more clearly what happened before the events in the movie.

Of course, I didn't think much of some details, but isn't that normal for all movies made from books?

Pellinore
July 2nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
I personally very much disliked this movie, primarily because it failed to remain accurate to the book, not only in plot but in theme. The theme of the book instead was traded for an arrogance quick fix and a cute Lucy apology.

The book centered around the idea of a loss of that childlike faith in Aslan, traded for an adult surety- and of course the redemptive gain of faith.

Loss of faith--> Aslan withdraws and the world falls to pieces.

Redemption of Faith--> Aslan returns and all is right again.

These ideas are explored individually in each character as well as in each culture. That is- not only is the Pevensies' faith in Aslan explored but also Caspian's, and most importantly Trumpkin's. However this theme is carried over to explore its facets in the dominant cultures of the Narnians and the Telmarines.

In the movie, everyone does what they're supposed to do with the exception of Peter, whose arrogance screws everything up. Then the whole problem (Aslan is gone) is blamed on Lucy ("why didn't you follow me dearest..."), who quickly puts a band-aid on things by riding into the forest and searching for Aslan (which could have fixed things all along?).

As was commented previously many things don't make sense in the movie (Trumpkin being executed near Cair Paravel by drowning? Random river spirits?) which make perfect sense in the context of the book.

It seemed to me that a rather deep and difficult theme was traded for the quick and easy, while difficulties in the plot (for movie presentation) were simply exchanged for an easier story.

For those who were confused--

-- In the book the Caspian backstory was actually a narrative told by Trumpkin, and occasionally interrupted by the Pevensies (think Princess Bride). Upon the completion of the backstory they leave Cair Paravel to join Caspian- hence their understanding of the situation.

-- The ice queen was the white witch from the previous movie/ Narnia's past. The dwarf brought in a hag to call up her spirit and bring her back so that the humans could be removed from Narnia, and the dominance of the 'fantastic' creatures could be restored (albeit under her rule).

-- The river spirit was representative of the redemption of old faith. The fords of Beruna were in fact a well known landmark to the Pevensies from their time as kings and queens. Since their time, the Telmarines had built a bridge (it was not a project of Miraz- it had long existed)- making it the "Bridge of Beruna." In the book, the river asks that his chains be released. Upon Aslan's consent the spirit is able to destroy the bridge. This then traps the Telmarines between the river and the Naiads and Dryads, resulting in their surrender.

Well, there is my two cents, and hopefully a little clarification. I think if I had not read the book I would have liked the movie, however the significant change of theme bothered me throughout the entire movie, and was unable to really 'get into it.' Hopefully some of the clarifications helped.

Fred Gallney
July 11th, 2008, 04:04 AM
I really liked Prince Caspain. The background music was superb; almost as good as the music in Lord of the Rings. I especially liked the scene in Caspain where the White Witch is summoned, trapped in the ice, and then both Caspain and Peter submit to her will. Unfortunately, the other kid - forgot his name - smashed the ice and the Witch was gone. It would have been great if shehad returned, but I think the story was actually far more of a masterpiece when she didn't succeed in returning.

fantasmic
July 11th, 2008, 10:57 PM
I liked it, but not the ending probably because my two favorite characters wont be going back to narnia. whats up with that :mad: