PDA

View Full Version : Help me find the name of this book.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

cbp
June 27th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I remember reading a book in 1996-97 but I can't remember the name nor who wrote it, nor when it was written. Googling didn't help

The story goes something like this.

Story starts with this older guy that dies.
He wakes up at one point and everywhere he looks there are men women and children in what seems to be some sort of suspended animation.
He passes out again and when he wakes up again he is butt naked and hairless along with a bunch of other people naked and hairless as well.
He is no longer old and is in shape and so are the other people.

All around the sides of the river there are people and there is no sign of civilization, just them and forest (with trees as hard as rock). The only advanced things are mushroom like structures (or so I remember them as being like).
Each human has a container that when put in the mushroom at a certain time of day, they get food and water.

It turns out that every human that ever lived is there. Also, whenever they die, they wake up the next day in a different place near the river, good as new and healthy.

The trees in the forest are hard as rock and cannot be cut. There is no metal on the whole planet. However, as the story progresses, a metal meteorite crashes, and people start creating tools such as magnetic paper/pens and so on.

Later on, our main character meets an alien that tells him that all this is an experiment, and that he made the meteorite crash, even if against the laws of his people.

That is all that I remember. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Hobbit
June 27th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Yeah; think I've got that. Sounds like Philip Jose Farmer: Riverworld series (http://http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/series/riverworld/).

The series is:

1. To Your Scattered Bodies Go (1971) (which is the one I think you mean)
2. The Fabulous Riverboat (1971)
3. The Dark Design (1977)
4. The Magic Labyrinth (1980)
5. The Gods of Riverworld (1983)

Hope this helps!

Mark / Hobbit

cbp
June 27th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Wow, thank you so much.
Been wanting to read the follow up stories for the past 10 years.

Hobbit
June 28th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Hopefully I have it right! Not sure how easy they are to get, these days, though I think the US Book Club had an omnibus a while back.

Best of luck!

Mark / Hobbit