View Full Version : The Road

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 [2]

Randy M.
March 11th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I found this novel moving. McCarthy's simple, direct, spare writing, his reticence in describing the cause of the catastrophe, his depiction of the father's love of the boy and growing desperation when trying to protect the boy while aware he himself was dying, and the rift in their relationship as the boy realizes his father may not be one of the "good guys," all that was very effective.

If I have any quibble, it's a fairly small one: This tone of The Road reminded me of the catastrophe movies of the late 1970s and early 1980s, like "The Day After" and "Testament." I mentioned to a couple of people it's the most powerful late '70s disaster novels I've read because it concentrates on the human cost of man-made apocalypse.

Randy M.

Raule
March 11th, 2010, 10:21 AM
"Testament" is a great movie. I can remember being quite moved and unsettled by it. It's a movie you won't forget if you've ever seen it. Jane Alexander gave a great performance.

turbolung
March 12th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Has anyone ever read The Road, by Cormac McCarthy? I just finished it a couple days ago, and I was extremely pleased with the book. Even in its simplistic writing, you can clearly tell McCarthy is very intelligent with a profound sense of human nature. It was so subtly disturbing that I couldn't read it at night sometimes.

What did you guys think of it?

I read the book recently and the man's a genius. I felt horrible reading it because he sucked me into the world and I somehow felt I was there and felt all the anguish the father did for his son. 10/10.

davidhood
March 24th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Hiiiiiiiiiii

I am David Hood I am Asking about every one what is the mean of road of ok so just tell me, and i know you should know.

Thanks

vancouver flowers (http://www.divineflowers.ca)

turbolung
March 25th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Hiiiiiiiiiii

I am David Hood I am Asking about every one what is the mean of road of ok so just tell me, and i know you should know.

Thanks

vancouver flowers (http://www.divineflowers.ca)

Huh? It's set 10-years after a nuclear war.

N. E. White
March 25th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I think davidhood was just posting to advertise something.

Anyway...

I, too, found the Road to be a fascinating read and one of the best books I have read in my entire life (I'm old). I read it a while back (it it first came out in 2006?), and I still think about it.

I imagine it's precisely because of the spare writing. He gave us enough of the story, enough of what it was that made the father and son who they were, and that allowed me, as a reader, to develop them into my own father, my own son. Their pain turned into my own.

At least, that's how it affected me.

Randy M.
March 25th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I think davidhood was just posting to advertise something.

Anyway...

I, too, found the Road to be a fascinating read and one of the best books I have read in my entire life (I'm old). I read it a while back (it it first came out in 2006?), and I still think about it.

I imagine it's precisely because of the spare writing. He gave us enough of the story, enough of what it was that made the father and son who they were, and that allowed me, as a reader, to develop them into my own father, my own son. Their pain turned into my own.

At least, that's how it affected me.

I think that's a good summation.

Randy M.

Rcbruno
May 19th, 2014, 09:50 PM
Thought it was incredible. The simplicity of the writing and the dialogue made it feel so real. To me its the best post-apocalyptic story I've ever experienced in any genre (The book of course). Keeping the focus on just two humans, father and son, made the ending even more heart-wrenching.