PDA

View Full Version : Title of these two books?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

trekker8
June 30th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Ok so a very long long time ago I read this book or a section from a book and I really liked it but for some reason never got the book. This was like 13-17 years ago at least. I *think* I read the first few chapters of each in one of those flip sample books the industry flitred with. You know where one side is one book, you flip it over and the other side has a second book. I think this one was like that...not sure. I know I checked them out of a public library but I already asked - they dont keep records that long :(.

Anyway here is what I remember about the book in general. Its probably an obscure title but I would really love to add it to my collection (in addition to rereading it).

Uknown Book:

Humanity is reduced to agricultural levels of tech.
"Domes" surround the small town in which the story/book starts - nothing may pass through these domes save what has been given "permission."
Main character and his girl are interested in the alien "guardians" that rome around in the dome ensuring peace etc.
These guardians are flying creatures that reproduce by budding.
If I recall correctly they also ensure nobody does anything forbidden with tech.
Main character accidently kills (?) one of the aliens and is forced to leave the dome. This is where the story ends.

Unknown book 2:
Again humanity is reduced to virtually nothing.
This time main char is a teen (not sure) boy who has a pet panther.
All I remember is that what little I got to read has him and his panther walking along what used to be a highway. He describes how age has buckled the road and caused sections of it to heave up.

===========================================
I know these arent a lot to go on but I would appreciate any suggestions at all. I am really interested in adding these books to my collection and hopefully finishing or rereading what little there was.

Thanks agian.

B5B7
July 1st, 2008, 02:03 AM
Your description of format of the book sounds like it could be an Ace Double.
This entry from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Double) has a large list of them - maybe you will recognize title or author from this.

trekker8
July 1st, 2008, 04:17 PM
Your description of format of the book sounds like it could be an Ace Double.
This entry from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Double) has a large list of them - maybe you will recognize title or author from this.

Hmm thanks, I will look through these. Its entirely possible that they were sperate books. It was quite some time ago and before I kept good track of what I read (I go through about a book a day so I have to lol).

Heres what I remembered about the first book in addition to what I already posted.

The main character is showing his friend a radio (I think) or something similar when they are spotted by one of these flying creatures. I believe they are in the hayloft of a barn not sure.

Think of the creature as weird shape...thinking 3d pentagon for some reason. Yellowish with wings.

Think the main char befriends a baby one...this might be the one he accidently kills. Its all very vague unfortunately :(

trekker8
July 2nd, 2008, 07:46 PM
The 2nd one is probably "Star Man's Son" according to someone on Abe's BookSlueth. Reading through some samples on Baens site I am inclined to agree - though its not exactly as I remembered, but hey I was a young kid so thats not shocking.

I did check the Ace combos and this was one, but the opposing book doesnt sound like my first unknown. I probably just confused the two becuase I checked out liked 30 books at once usually.