SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

srgeek
July 5th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Hi Folks,

This is my first post.

I'm trying to come up with the title or author of the book with the following synopsis.

The story begins with Simon, a reporter approaching a nuclear powered plane developed by a renegade/maverick individual. As he nears it explodes and he finds himself naked in an alternate universe where the Romans, not Columbus discovered North America. He moves through a series of dangerous mishaps and adventures, gets, loses and recovers "The girl", is accused and then exonerated of murder, is enslaved, escapes, is recaptured, then freed. Having been a Shakespeare buff, he earns a place in that universe/society by publishing works of Shakespeare from memory. Near the end he meets a carpenter who is preaching ,teaching and performing miracles in the market place. This alternate "Jesus" wins Simon and confirms his identity by admitting that "they" had got it wrong in the other universe and in this one families would be brought along, not forsaken, as he restores life to Simon's wife when she is killed in an equestrian accident.

I've told people about the book and I'd like them to read it.

Thanks to all who consider it.

srgeek

Monty Mike
October 14th, 2008, 07:18 AM
All I can think of is Behold The Man (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behold-S-F-Masterworks-Michael-Moorcock/dp/1857988485/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223986470&sr=8-1) by Michael Moorcock, though I'm not sure that all the details match.

Thread moved to the SF section.

Nicolas
October 14th, 2008, 01:49 PM
It isn't actually, i'm afraid Monty;)

I recently read Behold the man, the main character uses a time-travelling machine, some kind of sphere with liquid in it, to travel back two millenium and finds out that the real Jesus has down syndrome, which puzzles him greatly... Columbus and Shakespeare are not part of the story. Good book still.

I do not know what book it is srgeek, sorry.

Monty Mike
October 14th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Down syndrome? Heh, Moorcock wasn't messing around... :p

Highroller
March 19th, 2010, 07:07 PM
This probably not it but I have 2 books that MIGHT be close. They are in my shelf of books I bought 2nd hand and have never found time to read. Procurator and New Barbarians by Kirk Mitchell. In these books the Roman Empire never fell.