PDA

View Full Version : Any one help me find this long lost book

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pete M
July 7th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I read this a long long time ago it must have been written in the 40s or 50s. I borrowed it from the library c. 1960 and have been looking for it ever since.
The theme is genetic engineering, with our hero being sought by a mysterious group of people who seem to have special powers. As the story progresses it becomes clear this group have been sucessfully experimenting with gene engineering and can genetically alter plants in particular to produce anything they want. Not just new food but plastics and materials that can be grown to order in pre-determined shapes.
They also seem to have been messing with human genes and have created a super-girl who is not only dangerously attractive, but has very special talents and she is working for the mysterious group. Our hero goes on the run and when finally cornered, confronts the girl only to find he too has special talents and has been unaware that he was one of the group's experiments too. Finally he joins forces with the girl and they go off together in an organically grown genetically engineered spaceship.
Sounds silly as a summary but it was a great read, but who wrote it and what was it called?