PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take you to complete 1 book?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

D_A
July 17th, 2008, 12:59 AM
I managed to read David Edding's Malloreon series (5 books in total) in two days when I was sick, way back in the day (was probably about 18 at the time).

I'm a voracious reader on the worst of days, but I can also drag a book out when I feel like it. Depends on a few things though, like the book, my mood, how busy my life is at the time, etc..

I love reading in bed! Many are the nights that I've stayed up until 4-5am reading because I couldn't put a book down, only to wake up the next morning, grab the next book in the series and start all over again (usually a weekend; though this was prior to returning to full time study).

That said though, I wouldn't bother with comparing yourself with other people too much. Read a book at your own pace, and don't try to race through just because you feel like you're in competition with the rest of the world. Life isn't a race, and it's possible that you might miss stuff if you read faster than you're used to, which can make a book seem less interesting that it rightfully may be.

D_A
July 17th, 2008, 02:06 AM
Try reading this thread for a measuring-stick debate on this very topic...

http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19705&highlight=pages

The other thing (my partner and I talk about this often, actually -- she's a slower reader) is reading in voice. How many of you read in voice in your head, and how many of you simply let the words flow into the brain through the eyes? I go slowest when I read in voice, cuz I start doing it like a narrator would, with emphasis and dramatic pauses. It drives me nuts cuz it slows me down so much! I sometimes think that slower readers who read in voice must enjoy what they read in such a different way...

Fung, I loved this paragraph from that other link.

I'm mostly a "follow the flow and let the words drift through my brain" type-of-guy myself, which I guess is why I've always been such a fast reader, but occasionally something will click and I'll start "reading" the words instead of "absorbing" them (for lack of better description). Whenever this happens, I seem to slow down, and lose my concentration. It always takes me a bit of time to get back into the "flow", and the change is instantly noticable in my head.

I think for me, it happens when my mind starts drifting elsewhere, usually due to something I've read that conjures up memories which I then start thinking about. My brain then tries to force me back to reading by actually "reading" the words. How awful!!? :D

Colonel Worf
July 17th, 2008, 10:01 AM
My mind wandered yesterday and I realized I'd turned a couple of pages and I had no idea what I had read!

Fung Koo
July 17th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Dude, that happens to me allllllllllllll the time!

A sign of a good book, to me, is how frustrating it is when you wander. If it doesn't much frustrate me, like I could have easily ignored what I missed while my mind was elsewhere... well then, the book just ain't that engaging! On the other hand, when my wanders that can be a sign of great writing, and I painstakingly search out exactly the place where my brain departed.

What's so interesting is that your eyes keep scanning and your hands keep turning the pages, but your brain isn't really aware of what you're reading. This is supposedly one of the secrets to speed reading. In theory, the information is in there... you just have to let it bubble to the front.

But when the writing is great, you wanna get every single word... :D

Mookishboy
July 17th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I finish on average 4 books per week 3-500 pages each. i tend to read more than one book at a time.Reading on the loo,in bed,in the car,having breakfast/lunch/dinner
I read pretty much all the time. I have even read whilst driving:eek:

I only read sci-fi/fantasy
This week so far i have read and finished
The Gone Away World (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gone-Away-World-Nick-Harkaway/dp/0434018422)
The Innocent mage (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Innocent-Mage-Kingmaker-Kingbreaker/dp/1841496049/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216314597&sr=1-1)
The Awakened mage (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Awakened-Mage-Kingmaker-Kingbreaker/dp/1841496057/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216314629&sr=1-1)

Rereading the Amtrak wars right now :)

wolfbane19
July 17th, 2008, 03:05 PM
I'm a college student and I work full time so I only read about 30-45 minutes a day for recreational reading and sometimes not even that. I tend to finish a book every 2 weeks or so, which I don't think is too bad considering I'm a history major and thus am forced to read 13 books or so per class per semester, with taking 3 history courses a semester that equals 39 books of some pretty dull and often difficult material.

ajw2255
July 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I only read for around an hour a day normally so it takes me a while to finish books, but ive noticed that when i get into a book, 200 pages or so my reading rate speeds up.

gj001
July 21st, 2008, 05:35 PM
For me it can vary.
For example have read Way Station by Clifford Simak in one go took about an hour and a half, but its not that big a book.
Halting State by Charles Stross took me ages because he packs a lot in and I felt I had to take my time over it.
I've also read most of The Family Trade series by the same author but I could finish one of those in one session because they read slightly quicker.
I have to be careful sometimes because I can get so engrossed I suddenly find I have stayed up all night or missed a stop on the bus. Does that happen to anyone else and which authors cause you to do it most.
Some of the authors that tend to do that to me are
Dennis Danvers, Neal Stephenson, Mark Chadbourn (although he writes fantasy)
, Paul Levinson, most of William Gibson but couldn't get into Pattern Recognition or Spook Country and the late James White and Roger Zelazney

Pete M
July 29th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Depends, I can finish a book by staying awake all night, but novels are getting longer and longer, so The Dreaming Void took me just over a week and I slept normal hours.
On the other hand, the longest I have ever taken was V for Vendetta, it took me twelve years to finish, of course Warrior Comic did go out of print before the end of the story and I had to wait until Alan Moor got it printed in a new publication to read the ending. Anyone beat that?

dpgtfc
July 29th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Depends on how much time I have to read and how many pages the book has. I read about 100 pages an hour, so a 300 page book is gone in 3 hours of continuous reading. I rarely ever get that long to read straight, so it takes me a couple days. On a lazy weekend though I have been known to read 3-4 300 page books.