PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take you to complete 1 book?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

King Bonez Xx
July 29th, 2008, 08:18 PM
i don't think i read really fast or slow, but maybe a bit above average. i read foundation in about two hours, and i didn't like it. :eek: but that had large font and only a few pages, like king's gunslinger which is another one-day-er. :cool:

but when i read shogun by james clavell it took me a long time, and i could probably read, at most, 60 pages an hour.

so, like it's been said, the number varies.

Ropie
July 30th, 2008, 02:24 AM
I read about 100 pages an hour, so a 300 page book is gone in 3 hours of continuous reading.

I just can't comprehend that sort of speed. Depending on the book and the text density I suppose I can manage about 25-50 pages an hour. That said I nearly always read in bed late at night and often suffer from being already tired but wanting to read. No matter how good the book the need to sleep usually wins over after half an hour or so, so on average I manage to read about two books a month (some months four or five, some months just a half).

I am also a natural 'in voice' reader as was mentioned before so the words come in to my head at conversational speed. I have to really concentrate to read quickly and without the intonations and after a little while I will notice that I am already reading in voice again!

suciul
July 30th, 2008, 10:44 AM
To me the trick to reading fast is choosing your books well. This year I've read 145 new books for me - listed on Goodreads -, some I've reread as well including books of 900 pages (2666 one reread) or mere 5-600 (Waltenberg, Gone Away World, BSRA, Savage Detectives, LAOK) as well as rereads of previously read books, and I've read short fiction too.

It's true that I usually read 2-4 hours a day but I always have 10-15 books I know I want to read and read one or two that I want then. Even if I know I will love a book, if I am not in the exact right mood for it and I have something more interesting, I do not hesitate to switch.

If a book does not grab me fast I file it for later - or of course never - and move to another. I do not see the point of reading books that do not absorb you. If I must - say a part of a series, I just fast read to see what happens unless the book grabs me at some point and then I start it again...

Right now for example I got Lord Tophet and Alchemy of Stone but I found a new unexpected book I love more Magician and Mrs Quent and there is another that came today In Search of Klingsor that may take over and of course if Anathem or The Steel Remains show up - they are in the mail - I will move to either, while I will read both Lord Tophet and Alchemy soon but not now...

This way I maintain continuous interest in reading and I read reasonably fast. Again when people say they struggle with a book it boggles my mind - if you read for pleasure why struggle - find the books that you really like...

dpgtfc
July 30th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I just can't comprehend that sort of speed. Depending on the book and the text density I suppose I can manage about 25-50 pages an hour. That said I nearly always read in bed late at night and often suffer from being already tired but wanting to read. No matter how good the book the need to sleep usually wins over after half an hour or so, so on average I manage to read about two books a month (some months four or five, some months just a half).

I am also a natural 'in voice' reader as was mentioned before so the words come in to my head at conversational speed. I have to really concentrate to read quickly and without the intonations and after a little while I will notice that I am already reading in voice again!

I do read slower if I am tired, or drinking anything with alcohol, or distracted. I don't try to read fast, but after 25 years of hard reading (as in 2-3 books a week), it just seems to come naturally (*I'm 31, started reading when I was ~6 by my parents accounts). My wife comments on it all the time about it.

I will say that this was measured by "light" SF and fantasy. Non fiction books are slower, School Textbooks are even slower, and some SF can be pretty intensive to read, so it slows me down.

Skylark
July 30th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I generally read between 100 to 200 pages a day.
So, depending on the length of the book, it could take me anywhere from two days to a week to finish.

Chuffalump
August 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM
My claim to fame is that the first time I read Lord of the Rings I did it in two and a half days. Took it to school, read it at playtime, in the bath, at the dinner table......

Of course the second time it took two weeks.

The better the book the more I speed read. Just absorbing the story through my eyes. The best thing about speed reading is you might notice something different next time you read the book. The worst thing about speed reading is finished a great book too quickly.:(

psikeyhackr
August 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM
I think I'm a relatively slow reader so it could take me 6 or 7 hours on a book. But how much that gets spread out depends on how much the book hooks me and how pressing other things are. I have stayed up all night reading a book and dragged through the next day at work. ROFL But usually it would take 3 days to a week.

psik

NonVolo
August 2nd, 2008, 10:33 PM
I don't get a chance to read much other than commutes. Unless I'm REALLY hooked and then I can't put it down. But I can read very fast. Usually finish a book in a couple days.

icowdave
August 3rd, 2008, 10:50 PM
i sure envy those folks who can still spend hours a day with a book! being married with kids kills most of my time. i have to stay up mighty late to get some "me time" with a book. i try to get at least a little reading in each night but it still takes me a week to get through a book.

one thing that speeds me up is the next book on the pile. if i've got a new book standing by i tend to read much faster and more often so i can get to the next one.

the biggest slow down for me is the internets. i spend a good portion of my free time, that would in the past have been spent reading, surfing the web. when i'm stressed chillin on the web helps me relax and requires less brain power than reading.

- dave

Monty Mike
August 5th, 2008, 06:45 AM
The only times I've finished a book in a single say was during holidays. Otherwise it depends how much I am enjoying the book and what other things I have to do. I remember reading Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny in a single sitting, as well as An Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishiguro. The Great Gatsby was the same (though it is only a short book).

Anyway, off to eat Pizza! :D