PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take you to complete 1 book?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

mindstream
August 7th, 2008, 08:59 AM
I am one of those folks who indulges in subvocalization when I read. I'm a very visual person, and I like to have the same experience when I read. "Hearing" the words as I read them seems to help me accomplish this, although it's not something I'm consciously doing and I can't remember when I didn't read like that. I tried to learn to speed read, or at lest to up my page count, but I didn't like it since one of the things it teaches you NOT to do is subvocalize. Sure, I'd like to get more books in - I think that if I did NOTHING but read every moment for the rest of my life I still couldn't fit in everything I'd like to read. But if speed reading causes me to lose the richness of the experience (which it does), then I'm content to go more slowly. Even so, I imagine that I read about 75-100 pages a day, more if I'm on vacation or have an unusual amount of spare time. Most novels of about 300 pp I can polish off in a couple sittings.

ArthurFrayn
August 7th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I subvocalize the words as well. Usually fiction novels are constructed in scenes, so I don't know how you escape from that or would want to, especially if the narrative is written in the first person.

I confess, since I've been reading a lot more than I did 10 years ago, if I feel an author is taking too long to get somewhere for no reason, I will start to skim, by scanning pages to see if there is anything of worth on it, story info, artful description or character insights. Sadly, a quick scan over a few times can often reveal there's nothing of importance on the page, believe it or not. It's just padding. And I move on to the next page.

China Mieville with Perdido Street Station was a merciless padder -a sadist, in that regard.

Which leads me to my usual important points about "readin' real fast":
If you are into a book you read faster than if you are struggling to find anything of interest in what you're reading. I've struggled through simply written books because I found them tedious or appallingly written.
Also, if book is a relatively simple read like Tarzan of the Apes -Edgar Rice Burroughs, or A Plague of Demons by Keith Laumer, you'll blow through it in a single sitting; if it's something more complex like The Einstein Intersection by Samuel Delany or Camp Concentration by Thomas Disch, you might have to slow down a little bit. ;)

Randy M.
August 7th, 2008, 03:01 PM
I am one of those folks who indulges in subvocalization when I read. I'm a very visual person, and I like to have the same experience when I read. "Hearing" the words as I read them seems to help me accomplish this, although it's not something I'm consciously doing and I can't remember when I didn't read like that. I tried to learn to speed read, or at lest to up my page count, but I didn't like it since one of the things it teaches you NOT to do is subvocalize. Sure, I'd like to get more books in - I think that if I did NOTHING but read every moment for the rest of my life I still couldn't fit in everything I'd like to read. But if speed reading causes me to lose the richness of the experience (which it does), then I'm content to go more slowly. Even so, I imagine that I read about 75-100 pages a day, more if I'm on vacation or have an unusual amount of spare time. Most novels of about 300 pp I can polish off in a couple sittings.

How does one catch the sound and rhythm of the words without subvocalization? I can see that not being important with the majority of non-fiction (though I'd certainly advise against it with something like The Enormous Room by e.e. cummings), but in fiction part of the entertainment is the sound of well-written prose. ... Well, okay. For me, part of the entertainment ...

Randy M.

Chr0n
August 7th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I tried to read faster once or twice but I lose a lot of atmosphere that way. It's not that I don't grasp the meaning, but it somehow seems not to draw me into the book as much as it does when I read in my normal pace - which is about 5 to 10 chapters a day, depending on the size of the chapters and the amount of time I can spend on reading - which unfortunately isn't too much atm since I just started to work, well during holidays you know.

Anders
August 9th, 2008, 03:43 AM
I usually take my time when reading fiction. There have been large books (750-1000+ pages) that I've read in a day or two, but most of the time it takes a few weeks to finish such a book. While I don't have a specific schedule for it, I normally read a few pages on the bus going to and from work (20 min trip with change of bus in the middle), and for about an hour or two a couple of evenings each week.

I've been really into A Song Of Ice And Fire this year, but with other books, and life in general taking time (work and other hobbies), I'm just now finishing the third book A Storm Of Swords, while I finished the first book in the series in March.

Croaker
August 12th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I wish I could read more books per week- but i'm picky so I don't have enough books I really want to read, but when I do get a good series going(Black company or The Fits series by Hobb), I fly. I don't think I read all that fast, but I read consistently, hours and hours a day. I read the Sundering books (Banewreaker and Godslayer), a total of about 900 pages, in 2 days. It all depends on how much I like the books, and if I have any video games I want to play (a lot of the time the book wins out and the game goes unplayed).

If I was still working I'd be thinking about the book at work. I'm trying to get a bunch of reading done now before I go to boot camp... 13 weeks and no book but the bible- I hear it's good, maybe I'll give it a try :)

cynthiak
September 2nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Well, if we are talking a 300-400 page novel.

if it is good - I will usually finish it in 6-7 hours (I usually start books at night - if they are good, I read them clear through. If not, I may never finish them.)

The last book I read was almost 1000 pages.I think I started it at like 10 am on a Saturday and finished around 2am the next morning. (When I know I am going to get into a book, I tend to have snacks on hand - cooking takes way too much time away from my reading;) )

krazydawg005
September 21st, 2008, 12:25 PM
For me it depends on how interested I am along with how much free time I have. I've read a 300-400 page book in one night (likely around 5-8 hours) and other times it might take me two weeks. I likely read an average of 50-60 pages an hour.

My wife on the other hand plows through books. Sometimes she spends an entire evening reading and will have completed one in a half or two full length novels within that time.

MMerle
September 21st, 2008, 09:39 PM
If I'm really enjoying a book I will just read it in one go - usually about 5 hours for a 400 page novel. But also it depends on the writing, and the style of the book... I'm reading Ursula K. Le Guin's Always Coming Home at the moment and it really doesn't lend itself to a concentrated burst of reading because it's made up of bits of story, poetry, fictional anthropological data etc so I'm just reading it little bits at a time, and in between I've read 4 other more conventionally structured books.

Smitty
September 22nd, 2008, 05:54 PM
For me it depends on how interested I am along with how much free time I have. I've read a 300-400 page book in one night (likely around 5-8 hours) and other times it might take me two weeks. I likely read an average of 50-60 pages an hour.

My wife on the other hand plows through books. Sometimes she spends an entire evening reading and will have completed one in a half or two full length novels within that time.

Oh how I envy people who can do that... read for hours on end without stopping. It would be easy to say I do not have the time, but for me the real issue is that it makes me tired and gives me sleepy head. It is not that I do not enjoy what I am reading, but after 30 minutes or so, I get easily distracted or my eyes get heavy. A true curse.