View Full Version : Trying to find a couple of titles for my mom

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

vultar
July 16th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Hey everyone,

I've been helping my mom organize her book collection, and that exercise has resulted in her remembering (sort of) a bunch of other books she used to have and would like to have again. So far there's two we have no idea as to title or author and any help would be much appreciated.

Here's what she remembers

1: 'Hero' attempts to steal from a rich guy named Foster(?), but Foster finds him. Foster offers 'hero' a job as a bodyguard and they travel to Miami and then to Chichen Itza. Foster has no memories. In Chichen Itza 'hero' finds a black and white kitten he names Itza. 'Hero' and Foster discover a spaceship at Chichen Itza. It turns out Foster's an alien, that these aliens store thier memories on rods, and that they can become young again but will loose thier memories if they haven't been stored. Foster was marooned on Earth by the bad alien, and Foster is appearently the king of the aliens. Stonehenge is somehow involved as a landing site. The aliens are apparently immortal, but can be killed. She remembers reading this in the late 80's early 90's.

2: She thinks it's called "Jack of Shadows' (not the Zelazny one). 'Hero' has psy powers that he doesn't know what to do with, so he finds a socity that he thinks can help him. The society is evil and trying to take over the world. 'Hero' gets kidnapped by the bad guys, but escapes and is found by the good guys. The most she remembers is that 'Jack of Shadows' refers to a card game, and one of the bad guys was a pyrokinetic that melted people.

Thanks in advance.

B5B7
July 18th, 2008, 12:17 AM
Could the second book be James Blish's Jack of Eagles (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/james-blish/jack-of-eagles.htm)?

vultar
July 18th, 2008, 01:33 PM
She says that's the book. Thanks so much.

More info on book 1:

She thinks at the end the hero was given the bad alien's body, and something was done to the cat so she could live on with them too.

Thanks again

Pete M
July 29th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Re the first book, I think you are describing two books here. A Trace of Memory by Keith Laumer is about a guy who links up with an amnesic alien but I dont think it involves Chichen Itza, this is from another book. In A Trace of Memeory, they find a spaceship at Stone Henge and the alien is called Foster and he regains his memory froma cylinder on the mother ship.
The Chichen Itza story sounds familiar too but I cannot place it, could be another Laumer story he likes cats, but so did Heinlein.

vultar
July 30th, 2008, 02:14 PM
That's the one, she just ordered a copy. Thanks a bunch guys. Anybody have any ideas what the cat/chizen itza story might be?