PDA

View Full Version : What is this young adult science fiction book?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

CB2
July 28th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Hi. This is my first post here. I found the forum trying to find the answer to this question. I look forward to posting here more in the future, it looks like a great forum.

In the early 80's I read a science fiction paperback about people living in a dome city surrounded by untamed forest wilderness. The population was not allowed to leave and are told that the world outside is uninhabitable. They amuse themselves by hooking up to sensorial virtual realities like running through the forest etc. The protagonist, a young man, accidentally (?) is ejected from the city through the waste system and finds himself in the forest outside. Unable to re-enter the city he is discovered by a tribe of feral humans living in the wilderness. At first he is averse to them but soon becomes one of them. The book ended with them raiding the domed city and freeing the population from their sealed off existence.

I've been trying to find this book again for quite some time but to no avail. :confused:

isoatom
July 28th, 2008, 05:14 PM
great description but I really don't know I'm sorry... surely there must be some way of finding with such a full description!?

isoatom
July 28th, 2008, 05:59 PM
try this, seems to be more users on here...

http://amazon.imdb.com/board/bd0000052/threads/

CB2
July 28th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the response. I'll try that board too.

CB2
July 28th, 2008, 06:16 PM
great description but I really don't know I'm sorry... surely there must be some way of finding with such a full description!?

Believe me I've tried, but as many specifics as I remember it is a story shared by countless other books in various forms so it makes it harder to narrow down. Plus I think the book was fairly obscure.

CB2
July 28th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I got an answer there! It's Devil on My Back by Monica Hughes.

Sweet relief.

Here is the cover of the edition I read. The 1984 Magnet paperback.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5157FlsEsFL._SS500_.jpg