PDA

View Full Version : E-Books on PSP - Quality?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Chr0n
July 30th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I've got loads of E-Books, Scripts from school and the like. It's always been a pain to read those on my laptop to me, and you can't really learn in a bus with a laptop in your hand...

Anyway I decided it was about time to get myself an E-Book Reader. Sonys Reader costs about 250 € (incl. shipping). That's a lot of books... and I can't even listen to music while reading...

Well anyway I've looked for alternatives and came across that freaky little PSP Programm with which I can read e-books an PSP. That would be a cheaper alternative to an Ebook Reader. I'm not too sure about the quality of that though, would kinda suck actually if I spend 160 € on PSP and then the letters would all be screwed up and the like..

Is anyone here actually reading his/her scripts / e-books an a PSP?
What's the quality about and would it be better for my nerves in the long run to spend a bit more on a reader - though then again I want to listen to my soundtracks while reading...

I'd appreciate some help here, Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Ok the PRS-505 is actually able to play audio files.
Has anybody got one?
Hows the quality?
Can you actually read for hours on end without your eyes starting to ache?

EDIT 2: Oh and can you recommend a dealer which ships to europe?
That one for example: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/524807-REG/Sony_PRS505LC_PRS_505_Reader_Digital_Book.html
Are there any problems with taxes or does the reseller take care of that?

EIDT 3: Searched around a bit and found an interesting device calles Astek Mentor. Prolly gonna buy the 6" version with touchscreen when it's out - well they promised to bring 'em out in Europe as well, so just let's hope.

steverobbo
August 14th, 2008, 02:23 PM
EDIT: Ok the PRS-505 is actually able to play audio files.
Has anybody got one?
Hows the quality?
Can you actually read for hours on end without your eyes starting to ache?

I have had a Sony PRS 505 since last December. The quality is first class and I would recommend one to anybody.

The screen is crystal clear, and reads, and looks, just like the page of a normal book, I have read 16 books on it so far and my eyes haven't started to ache one bit.

It is lightweight and very portable, I know that some people would say any book is portable, but untill you have carried a PRS 505 around, being only about 1 cm thick, including the leather case, the difference is quite obvious.

It may be a bit expensive but compared to the others on the market, Kindle, Cybook, etc.....it is in a league of its own.

It is quite surprising just how many e books can be downloaded onto it for free, and the software that come's with it is very basic.

If you are going to buy one don't waste your money on a PSP, spend that bit extra on the PRS 505, it will be worth every penny, I wouldn't trade mine for the world.

If you need to do a bit more research before you buy one then try www.mobileread.com, this site contains everything that you will ever need to know about e readers.

Steve

Chr0n
August 15th, 2008, 04:07 AM
Thanks for the information.

Atm I decided to wait for Astak to thro their readers on market and wait for the first reviews.
If it sucks I can still buy a Sony one.

Bengoshi-San
August 15th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't recommend the PSP for any sort of outdoor use. The screen is simply too glossy and reflective.

I personally don't know much about these reader things, but the Kindle from amazon and the Sony reader are the two most often spoken of.