PDA

View Full Version : Wall-E

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

BrightStar
August 6th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I went to see the movie, Wall-E, on Monday, and was wondering what others thought of it. I was extremely dissapointed and wouldn't recommend it (though the kids in the theater did seem to enjoy it).

I can't quite put my finger on what, exactly it was about the movie that I didn't like. I was bored, and after being in the movie for no less than 20 minutes, it already felt like I'd been there at least four times as long. I spent the last 40 minutes yawning and seriously considering leaving the theater earlier.

The movie started out well enough. Wall-E is a cute little guy and I was immediately quite curious about his situation, but I felt everything dragged far too long. When the female probe Eve(think that was her name) shows up, I was momantarily optimistic that things would improve. And although my interest returned for a while, it soon faded.

The plot felt very repetative, drawn out, and seemed to be trying to convey a very obscure message: the film has an interesting take on the state of humankind in the future, but my boyfriend and I both have different interpretations as to whether the message was meant to be a positive one, or a negative one. It seemed a bit too complex for kids, that's for sure.

For me, I was very dissapointed. The money I paid to see it was a waste, and I'd probably have been just as dissapointed had I simply waited to see this movie on DVD rather than going to the movies. A shame.

But the critics and movie-watchers alike both seem to love it, and are giving it rave reviews. So I seem to be in a minority.

Bengoshi-San
August 6th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I went to see the movie, Wall-E, on Monday, and was wondering what others thought of it. I was extremely dissapointed and wouldn't recommend it (though the kids in the theater did seem to enjoy it).

I can't quite put my finger on what, exactly it was about the movie that I didn't like. I was bored, and after being in the movie for no less than 20 minutes, it already felt like I'd been there at least four times as long. I spent the last 40 minutes yawning and seriously considering leaving the theater earlier.

The movie started out well enough. Wall-E is a cute little guy and I was immediately quite curious about his situation, but I felt everything dragged far too long. When the female probe Eve(think that was her name) shows up, I was momantarily optimistic that things would improve. And although my interest returned for a while, it soon faded.

The plot felt very repetative, drawn out, and seemed to be trying to convey a very obscure message: the film has an interesting take on the state of humankind in the future, but my boyfriend and I both have different interpretations as to whether the message was meant to be a positive one, or a negative one. It seemed a bit too complex for kids, that's for sure.

For me, I was very dissapointed. The money I paid to see it was a waste, and I'd probably have been just as dissapointed had I simply waited to see this movie on DVD rather than going to the movies. A shame.

But the critics and movie-watchers alike both seem to love it, and are giving it rave reviews. So I seem to be in a minority.

(Remember this is just my opinion and a response to yours)

I went to see Wall-E on opening night and loved it. Initially, I too was starting to think that maybe the entire movie would be slow. There was little-to-no dialogue and even less action. However, things soon changed, the action came in, the story revealed itself and everything fit into place really well.

Having seen the movie as a whole and looking back on it, it then became obvious to my why there had to be a slow beginning. Earth is desolate and covered in rubbish and the only two lively characters are Wall-E and his Cockroach pet. It's ironic.

Human beings, the ones that were responsible for the destruction of the planet are not the ones taking responsibility or accountability. Instead, they have decided to leave an army of "clean-up" robots on Earth while they wait in space on what equates to a cruise ship.

Man's own created unnatural paradise and their ignorance of life and nature make them stay in space, not noticing the simple beauty around them. They have wasted away into obesity and consumerism. Look at the parallels with our own global society today. We consume, we consume and then we consume some more.

To me the movie was not a kids movie, although the kids enjoyed it a ton. My girlfriend and I are both 24 and we went without any children. The theater was packed with children and with adults. Everybody seemed to enjoy the movie (judging from the noise, clapping, oo-ing and ahh-ing).

The pace at the beginning of the movie is purposely done. Why must every movie we see today have a bunch of wordy explanations and dialogue? A good story-teller and producer/director can tell us all the world without saying a word. And that's what I think Wall-E did.

For myself personally the movie is absolutely fantastic, a great social commentary, an entertaining film and appeals to a universal audience as a love story as well.

Rob B
August 6th, 2008, 12:17 PM
I saw Wall*E a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed. However, I don't think it is really a kids movie. Here's what I said on my blog (http://blogorob.blogspot.com/2008/07/multireal-future-histories-and-past.html) after seeing it:

I went with my wife, a friend and their soon-to-be 4 year old son. The first portion of the movie is a bit too drawn out Ė no human voices (which is OK for adults), no real action either. The beginning sets the mood and atmosphere pretty well, but for a young kid there isnít enough to grab their attention. As a fan of Science Fiction and SF films, I appreciated a lot of the homages thrown into the film and the plot itself. I thought the cynical commentary about fat, lazy, humans in the future was handled pretty well. Overall, I liked the movie quite a bit. I think Iíd like to see it again and will likely pick up a copy on DVD if for nothing else to really appreciate the animation and can give the film a solid recommendation

SJhanaye
August 7th, 2008, 05:43 PM
This year in June, Pixar and Disney teamed up again and brought us the film Wall-E. The director and writer is Andrew Stanton. The movie has a little bit of everything: animation, adventure, comedy, family, romance, and sci-fi. The movie has been nominated for best comedy summer movie from the Teen Choice Awards. The film's budget was one hundred and eighty million dollars and the gross revenue was close to three hundred million dollars. It follows the story of a robot named Wall-E who is designed to clean up a polluted Earth. He eventually falls in love with another robot named Eve, and follows her into outer space on an adventure.
I have three little sisters and the two I took to see the film are nine and six years old. They both really enjoyed the film and so did I. The animation is so realistic and vivid; Pixar movies are always so beautiful to watch. Some people were saying that itís boring and too long, but I donít know why a grown adult would go to ďGĒ childrenís film and expect to be thoroughly entertained anyways. Besides, children have the shortest attention span and both of my sisters are very squeamish, yet they both sat attentively and captured into the movie the whole time. There were also some negative comments about the lack of dialog in the film. Most of the characters donít have actual human voices, but instead communicate with body language and robotic sounds that resemble voices. I think it was nice to observe what was going on instead of having the characters narrate step by step, it was a chance to use more of our minds instead of just using our ears. Its also extremely important for young children to consciously observe and learn about the things that are going on around them instead of always having it spoon fed to them, and this movie let them do just that. The movie was fun and exciting and also taught children the importance of taking care of the earth and those around them.

leah
August 7th, 2008, 07:46 PM
:)Aww. This movie was cute. I donít usually watch kids movies unless I'm dragged to them, but I'm glad I went to this one! It was a very good and cute movie. It was interesting because it was not just a movie for kids. It was very entertaining, I think, for both children and adults. It had some very interesting content. The fact that it addressed a very huge issue in our society surprised me. The fact that it showed everyone what we are doing to our world is very good! Iím glad that this movie opened the eyes to the next generation. It informs them of the consequences of the things we are doing to our earth. No I am not a hippie or even all that knowledgeable of what is going on in our world but I do believe there is a problem! I wish that more people would open their eyes to see that the things they do affect the future. I donít want our world to end like the earth in the beginning of the movie! We need to recycle more and pay attention to the earth friendly products that are out there. It is important for us to prevent things like in WALL-E from happening. Iím glad the movie had a happy ending though. Which of course why would it not itís a kidís movie!!

Monty Mike
August 8th, 2008, 01:29 PM
I was told I didn't give this movie a fair shot after I walked out of the cinema at around 30 minutes in... :p

Maerad(",)
August 26th, 2008, 07:00 AM
well, wall-e is just okay, and it is just really for kids(but adults can watch that too. but kids enjoyed it most.)

Bree
August 28th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I've heard really mixed reviews about this film. I never was keen to see it, especially after hearing the reviews on this thread.

MattC
August 28th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I loved this movie, but then again I hated most other Pixar films, so I might not be a good judge.;)